Smoke/fire simulation is not working/ flow setting

Hi! I hope i will find help here! I have watched Blender Guru’s tutorial about campfire, I tried to remake it, but it won’t to work at all!

I am following him:

I add circle with filling, then quick effects- smoke, it’s working then, with default settings, after it I am changing domain to flow and then simulation stops working. I move the timeline and alt+a again, nothing happend. When I try to return to domain it’s not working like before, just nothing happend. When I add next object with smoke quick effect, the previous cirlcle with domain setting starts working too.

What’s wrong? I made something wrong? I installed newer version of Blender, it works the same, please help me, I really need fire for my new project!

You probably changed the Domain to your Flow object. That would explain why nothing appears. You will always need a Domain object for smoke sims as the Domain objects is the heart of the Simulation process. So you will need 2 objects to make a basic smoke sim work. A Domain object (Simulates and contains actual smoke) and a Flow object (defines where the smoke is being emitted)

1 Like

Oh, you are so right! I just didn’t use this for so long, o forgot about it! Okay, so domain would be the cube which has appered? Or how did he solved this?

Edit: it was easy to change, anyway, i have different problem now, fire disappears when I try to add texture to it, what can I do?

Why and how did you try to add texture to it? The correct approach would be to use attribute nodes to get the Data from the Simulation. Since you used Quick effects you can just use the Material that it created on the domain. With that Set up you should see the smoke (but not the fire) rendering. For rendering the fire you have to add an Emission shader to the nodetree. I would just use Google Images to find a nodetree. I can post a screenshot of a shader if you still need help.

Thank you! I was just following blender guru, he used texture to add natural irregularity to the fire, thank you for the help, he used “tex” texture, I had to create a new one to get stuff work.

Also – “I’ve watched that tutorial, and it’s great and all that, but … to my eyes, that’s still not a very realistic campfire.” :yes:

To my way of thinking, fire is “fundamentally, a very chaotic thing.” A lot of things are happening – smoke, heat, irregularities in the combustion of various materials. And so, I have found good success in approaching the task with more than one render, perhaps also using more than one rendering technology. Then, use Blender’s amazing node-based compositor to “tweak(!)” these various elements together in a believable way. Some of the things that you render are used as modifiers – plugged “in unexpected places” into other nodes.

And … “less is more,” as you’ll find out. For instance, referring just to the cover-shot of the video in post #1, I’d start by extracting an image of the fire with the wood, and a second otherwise-identical image without it. If I now superimposed these two, with some kind of animated noise-texture controlling the mix, I’ve immediately added a tangible sense of “depth” to the fire. A simple (perhaps, BI-based) particle-system might be the source of a “smoke” which, say, modifies “opacity” and/or superimposes a fairly-translucent gray … perhaps broken-up by another random texture of some kind.

Key factor is: “you’re doing this ‘in post.’” Having once generated a set of visually-aligned “effects that you think you can use,” you are assembling “the final shot” from “the (various) renders.”

You are specifically not attempting to trick “one render” into being​ “the shot.”