How to rotate an object along a local axis

I need help how to rotate an object around an local axis in object mode. See attached picture.

How to create a local axis in the same direction as my red drawn line (should be straight…) in the attached picture? I want the "arm to rotate but I still want the top and the bottom stay in its places.

Can anyone help me? :smiley:

/Caroline

Attachments

Options given your unclear image. ALWAYS supply a demo .blend file as a MINIMUM)

Create a custom orientation https://docs.blender.org/manual/de/dev/editors/3dview/object/editing/transform/control/orientations.html#custom-orientations
Add a bone/empty along the axis and parent object to it

I don’t know how to add a .blend file. How can I do that? Im a beginner in blender and new on this site. Can I email it to you?

Thanks for your quick reply but I can’t really follow that link. I have two vertices that I want to connect with an axis. That created axis I want to rotate the object around.

Either I know how to create that customized axis either I know how to rotate the object around it afterwords :frowning:

I would really appreciate some step-by-step help :slight_smile:

/Caroline

Hello Caroline and Welcome to BA!

As you are new here, you will be on moderation for your posts - the first 10 will need to be OK-ed by a Moderator, so there may be some delay, however, I still think you may be restricted to post blend files until you are off Moderation.

In the meantime you can upload your blend file to pasteall.org/blends then copy the address for your file from your browser and post it here for us to download. To set a link in the post you use [ u r l ] before and [ / u r l ] after the URL, without the spaces, I put those in so the Forum does not use it as a URL.

When you upload a blend file - cut out everything bar what is needed to show the issues in a copy blend file, we don’t need to see everything else that works fine.

You obviously know how to “Go Advanced” and upload Images - well you can also add blend file there, provided they are not too big!

To rotate about a Local Axis like the Object’s Z axis, you would key R ZZ and an angle or simply move your mouse in the 3D view. ZZ means local Z axis one Z on its own means Global Z axis.

Cheers, Clock. :slight_smile: