How to make only some areas of a texture visible (Like Masking it)

Hello there!

I want to make only some areas of an object to have the texture. I have see this tutorial that uses Black and White textures with colorRamp to control the amount of factor:

However I don’t know how to do those textures, if it’s with edtion software like Gimp, Photoscape, Photoshop, or if there’s another ways of do it, like some web site, some term to find them, or even if I can use Specular of “displacement” maps (I actually think more about specular).

And also I found this video:

Here he doesn’t use the reflection, quite the opposite, he uses matcaps faking the PBR effect and he says he uses metal map to control which areas is going to be metallic or not, and he did it using masks, but I don’t know how.

I apreciate any help.

Thanks in advance.

[Normal]
[Diffuse]
[Reflection Mask] - stencil mode - checked in bottom of texture options and RGB to intensity -
[Reflection]
[emit mask] - stencil mode - checked in bottom of texture options and RGB to intensity -
[emit map]

the reflection map itself can be gathered in realtime or saved by using a environment map and saving it in Blender internal

you can also fake it with a texture like a spherical gradient set to reflection* or Normal in the mapping mode

this is a base material

you can use nodes and mix multiple materials on an actor using a mask as well

in this object color + emission on one material (paint accent color) and regular base material

There’s what I get from the tuto:

test_mask.blend (489 KB)

I followed as you said, and I don’t know if it’s right. I used in place of paint texture a specular map, can I do that? It’s wrong?

And how do I make a paint texture? It’s simple by uv unwrapping the parts of the object that I want to use and then creating a new image and saving it, then opening in a edition software a paint it in black and white? Or there’s another way?

Other thing, why is needed to create a material Door_paint? What is paint for? Like I see that he use object color. It’s necessary to use it? And why to use it?

And, I don’t know if this video has something to do with masking but:

https://youtu.be/4kjct5atBoA

The part with nodes and mix can do, or better saying, they are the same thing, do the same thing for masking, like mixing textures like he did, or never mind? They are just for fake PBR?

Ok, in a material, you have textures,

In a node material, you can make a material that uses several materials and a mix mask

However inside a material,

Text slot 1 = stencil texture set to rgb to intensity checked, stencil checked
Text slot 2 = this texture will be masked by the stencil above it

Here’s my try:

test.blend (477 KB)

test2.blend (498 KB)

I used the stencil and rgb, is it right?

Ok, it was wrong, but know I think I made it. Finally understand the mask with stancil and rgb and the paint texture in the UV layout to make a precision control of it.

mask.blend (480 KB)

Thanks for the help BluePrintRandom

Try this-> https://github.com/mikepan/BlenderGEResourceKit/tree/master/addons
Its a fake pbs + examples, from where you could learn.
Screens from here: https://github.com/mikepan/BlenderGEResourceKit/tree/master/Media

This addon works in Upbge? Here the material settings just appear in the original bge

The important part is to look at the blend object material to see its fake pbs settings.

Ah yes, I get it now. Thanks Akira :slight_smile: