Linking an empty parented to armeture

Respected experts…

I had completed rigging of a character and for adjusting the cloth (without simulation), I used empties influencing the cloth mesh with wrap modifier. the empties were actually parented to armature.

the empties were initially placed on the same layer in which the cloth mesh was placed.
the empties were also made part of the group with character mesh, armature, custom shape objects etc.
But while linking the group in another blend file, I found every thing is there, but i’m unable select the empties separately and hence, i could not control the cloth mesh in the linked file.

what could be the wrong thing I’d done?
can any one please guide me?

thanks in advance…

waiting for a kind response…

If you Link a model the only way I know to animate it is to make a Proxy of the armature in your new file to which the model is linked and animate the proxy. So having said that the Empties cannot be used to control any mesh as far as I know. The way to go here is to replace the Empties with extra bones in the original file, these bones should be part of the original armature.

Keeping all the actions in one object, like using just bones in a single armature is also good practice as it keeps all the actions in one object and is therefore more efficient.

Cheers, Clock.

thanks clock, for the speedy response…

I will try something else…

thanks again :slight_smile: