Low poly Zebra

Current Image:

This is an image that I was doing last night. It started off as a low poly zebra modeling session, but then I started giving him a scene for visual interest. While I did like the initial results, some things bothered me about the scene, so I changed a few things, simplifying some textures and switching to UVs for others. Adding in some other details helped (I feel) give this a little more depth.

I’m really starting to like this now, so I’m wondering, what could I do to improve this, keeping the low poly look and feel to it? I may work some on the UVs to see if I can get the striping better and more accurately, but wondering what else I could do. May also rig to be able to add more of a pose as well (adding the rig in case I want to use this again later or want to find a new pose for a different image from the same scene).

Thanks in advance!

Here’s the base image.

I really like how it all looks!

Though, some things could use improvement-

The water has no depth, perhaps make it transparent.

The lighting is really really dim, it would help to brighten up the scene and make it look like there’s a real sun shining down on that zebra!

As for the zebra itself, I would say the eyes are the only thing standing out, they’re a bit too round for his body, perhaps make them squares rotated 45 degrees.

Hope I helped. :slight_smile:

Not sure what you mean by the eyes being too round… the eye sockets are kind of square, but the eyes themselves while they are round, I used 8 and 8 for the edges and rings to help reduce the poly count on them. Maybe that makes them appear too round to you? Not sure.

Anyway, I’ve taken some of the feedback and somethings I saw from another thread hear on BA and made some improvements:

Looking better and better, I think, but still would like feedback on what I can do to improve this!

About ready to call this one final, but open to any suggestion!

In this one, I tweaked the gradient that controls the grass length so that the grass appears about the same height on each zebra in the image.