UV unwrap and displace not lining up

I am making a 3D landscape based on LIDAR height data and aerial photography. I have created a plane and UV unwrapped an png image of an aerial photo onto a plane. I have resized the plane and adjusted the scale of the plane so it perfectly fits my image.

I also have a Digital elevation model of the topography of the area created in GIS. The DEM image is exactly the same size and projection of my aerial photo image - but when I use displace it doesn’t line up.

Alternatively I can put the displace on first to displace the plane. But when I UV unwrap the aerial photo it doesn’t line up again. How can I get them to line up?

Attached a photo. Top photo shows aerial photo with displace in the wrong place. Lower one shows the displace in the right place before I add the texture. I chose this example because the pier nicely shows how they are not lining up. properly. I have this error every time I try to use two images together.

Please ALWAYS supply an example .blend file with any support question. Or is this supposed to be a guessing game?
And make sure all textures are packed into the file before uploading.

cromer.blend (1.95 MB)

VERY quick example to illustrate my problem.

You have to include the texture into the .blend file. ( File / External Data / Pack into .blend file )

In your blend file the displace modifier is not set to use the UVs as the texture coordinates

Setting texture coordinates to uv works great, thank you! Much appreciated.