Materials and Textures in Cycles Cookbook.

Hey, people. Could you tell me if you ever had any experience with Blender Cycles - Material and Textures - Third Edition? What are your thoughts on it? How much does it touch open the procedural side of Cycles materials and the PBR? Does the book thoroughly explain rendering in Cycles, like ray casting and what not or is it just a simple generic book about some subject in Blender? Is is worth it, that’s what I’m asking?

Here’s the link to the book.

And no, I’m not trying to advertise it here, I am in no way, shape or form tied to the author of the book or the website itself.

Are you purchasing the e-book $29, or the printed version for $49?

I don’t know about the content, but I bought a few books from Pakt a
few years ago…the covers all curled up and the paper was not good quality.
Hopefully the books are better quality now (and should be for $49).

There are 14 reviews for it at Amazon, too.

This is the oneI’m considering. Here’s a review with sample pages.

Regardless of which book, if it’s an e-book, i.e. pdf, I print them out at home,
and have them spiral bound at a local print shop for $5. Makes them very easy to use. :cool:

re: Cookbook…judging by the reviews at Amazon, and the Table of Contents, I will probably get the e-book.

Same for the Cycles Encyclopedia. Both have strengths, and approach learning Cycles from different perspectives.

@3dcal, I was hopping to purchase the e-book, not the printed version. Yeah I guess you’re right, I wouldn’t be able to acquire all the needed knowledge just by reading one book. It seems like I’m going to have to spend a lot more money than I hoped for. But, whatever, everything for knowledge, right?

There are so many free video tutorials, my books have been gathering dust, but still good for reference.

I’ll pass on the books for now…have GB’s of video tuts to go through! =O

BTW, PM’d you. :wink:

Just wanted to put this answer to anybody else who might be reading this.

If you want to learn a little bit more in-depth about cycles than the “Cycles Cookbook” is for you. It really pays of to buy it.
Also, blendercookie pro citizenship is no joke either, it really gives more than it charges for.
I just want to express my gratitude @3dcal for providing me with the link for the already mentioned book.