I was once hired by a scammer to make models for him

I decided to give my first story time post here a go, so here it is;

It was summer of 2014, and little Clara wanted to try out doing paid work in her passion; anything to do with 3D anything.

I took to Craigslist and put up an ad.

It was a spectacular ad,

I showed some of my work.

There were few replies, all were just complements, I was thankful and proud.

But one day, there was this man.

A tanned skin man, about 5 feet tall

This man contact me, he wanted a few models

He requested some more renders of my work

I quickly ship three,

He was very impressed, and offered to pay $50 for a female character of Ultra HD detail (Ultra HD = current generation video game graphics as of 2014)

I was happy to do so, and started to work.

The man also asked for a specific car and a house

I happily modeled the car as I’m usually quickest with those.

I show it to him, he’s very happy.

I now ask for him to pay $50 for the car and I would ship it to him fast

And then he disappeared.

The end.

And I never tried again. rest in peace my hopes and dreams, I wish I could do paid work. :confused:

These things happen, this is why I love asset stores.

Put the models on turbosquid and other assets store. I’ve got like over 100$ over 8 years time :). That’s still more than 0$

I had a client tell me I was to get money initially, and then some on 50% complete, and another on 100%

I wrote the whole app basically, and the client agreed the project was 80% done, and would not pay me the amount agreed for the 50% mark,

He kept dodging me and when I asked about the money, and asking me to add features/improve the system, I eventually just started ignoring him.

Nice profit bigbad. :slight_smile:

And BluePrintRandom, ri-freaking-p. Well the software you made is yours to sell now, or to keep. Shrugs

I actually learned a bunch and got at functions I had never needed etc so it was not wasted time.

If I had to write the same app I could write it to run much faster and write it in a shorter time.

Well that’s good. :slight_smile:

I didn’t learn jack crap in my “programming” class at school last year. They rushed us so hard I HAD to cheat to meet the deadlines.

There’s a common tip among CG artists when it comes to preventing this type of thing.

Always make sure your client pays you before you start doing the work (it puts more liability on your end, but it’s safer).

yup, either volunteer or go for 30-50% advance

“I can share my bread, but if you ain’t got the dough, why are you asking for an oven?

I try to make the buyer comfortable first, but hey, he didn’t get any models so it’s fine.

Also burnin mentioned volunteering… That’s actually a great idea, I would love to be part of a group project. :o

Your portfolio/demoreel should be doing that.