First Project... Niglo & Gus

Hello Everyone ! I’m firstly a music composer & very new to blender…
I always wanted to make animation & now I have some time so some weeks ago I started working with blender with a little short film project in mind… Making a lot of tutorials & trying to learn as much as possible and create habbits with all those shortcuts !!! Fighting to understand Hair particles & rigging & all what can be done in blender… not easy but interesting & motivating & really so much amazing possibilities!
So here is the first two characters I’m working on for this project… There’s still a lot of work to be done, & any comments & advices are welcome… :slight_smile:

Cheers )

the bird looks kind of weird and the guy’s appearance is a little bit scary to me but i think its alright for the first characters.

I’m curious as to the shaders you’re using. When it comes to hair particles it would look better if all the hair flowed together instead of seeming to criss-cross each other by changes directions so jarringly on a flat surface, like the wing for example, on the guy the hair seems to be a bit to thick at the start. I recommend something around .1 for the base of the hair and .01 for the tip, you might have to use more hairs but it will look better. Studying a bit of anatomy would help the characters feel more human and less fake, using reference is also very important. One last question, are you sculpting or modeling? and if you’re sculpting, are you retopologizing?

Hello & thanks for your comments :slight_smile:
@yester I didn’t try to make a real looking bird, but a funny one…
@jester I’m modeling, but I realise I have still a lot to learn, I’m struggling with the hair system, all settings are really difficult to understand … Also for hair collision, can’t find how to make hair doesn’t enter in other object…
I’ve a lot to learn but I’m very motivated :slight_smile:

I don’t think they look bad, in my opinion, they look like puppets in a puppet show