Tutorial for basic texturing?

I have my mesh model all built out. It’s all created with the basic mesh shapes like cubes and cylinders, with some modifiers. Is there a basic tutorial for texturing it? I’m completely lost. All I know is that you’re supposed to go into UV editing mode -> select mesh -> edit mode -> unwrap, but the texture doesn’t look good at all on the object. Am I supposed to separate all objects before texturing them or is it fine if they’re joined (ctrl+J)? For example if I have a set of screws, a lock, and some hinges all joined together into one object, should I keep them separate, texture each individually, THEN join them, or is it fine if they’re joined?

It’s a group, not a single mesh, right?
Unless you want everything to the same texture, you need to do each one separately…you can hide all but the one
you are working on, or put them in different layers.

Did you try a Google search for [I have my mesh model all built out. It’s all created with the basic mesh shapes like cubes and cylinders, with some modifiers. Is there a basic tutorial for texturing it? I’m completely lost. All I know is that you’re supposed to go into UV editing mode -> select mesh -> edit mode -> unwrap, but the texture doesn’t look good at all on the object. Am I supposed to separate all objects before texturing them or is it fine if they’re joined (ctrl+J)? For example if I have a set of screws, a lock, and some hinges all joined together into one object, should I keep them separate, texture each individually, THEN join them, or is it fine if they’re joined?[/QUOTE] Unless you want everything to the same texture, you need to do each one separately…you can hide all but the one you are working on, or put them in different layers.But"]basic texturing in Blender](http://[QUOTE=Heartcloud;3169729)?

It’s joined, not a group, I joined it with ctrl + j. But fortunately I did keep backup copies of them separate.

I did search for basic texturing but it’s so complicated. I watched that youtube vid of texturing for a basic cube but obviously it won’t work for more complex objects like mine. If I could get some links of relevant videos or info that’d be great so I don’t have to sift through tons of content to find info that’s relevant for my little project.

Do I basically just apply that seamless flat metal texture to each individual mesh (eg a screw) through UV unwrap, then afterwards join them together? But how would the combined texture work? I know what those combined UV textures are supposed to look like but I have no idea how they’re made.

For example this:

Another thing I wanted to know was baking lighting/shadows onto the textures to make it look better.