Robust spline rig - help!

Hi, I’m trying to make an IK rigged tentacle for export to Unity. I need it to be able to slither along a curve, and to be able to control it like an IK arm.

I have two armature objects: I’m using the “Spline IK” bone modifier on a rig that deforms the mesh, controlled by a curve. Then I have a control rig that controls the hooked bezier control points on the curve.

I want to be able to control the tentacle like an IK arm. I can do this if I check the “Y stretch” option on the spline IK bone modifier.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477893[/ATTACH]

However, I ALSO want to make the tentacle slither along the curve. I can do this if I uncheck the “Y stretch” option and and move the base of the curve back and forth. When I do this I can’t control it the other way, because the deform rig sill extend or retract as the curve changes.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]477894[/ATTACH]

I need to be able to do BOTH these things, and at the same time. One way I can’t use IK control, the other way I can’t get it to slither.

Ideally, what I would like is for the Deform bones that follow the curve to not stretch at all, but for the tip to lie at the end of the curve (for IK control), with a controllable offset (for slither).

If anyone has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.