Creating cliffs mountains caves - you get the point and I have some questions

Hi, everyone this is my first post. I previously had an account here a very long time ago, but I am just getting back to 3d graphics. Blender has changed.

I want to make this quick so I don’t waste words on this. I am using Blender Internal for rendering, but of course modeling is irrelevant to the renderer.

I would like to create a mountain side and some cliffs and ridges and in a small hidden away area I will be placing a cave.

I have tried a few times, by blocking out large wall segments and then subdividing. However, the results were horrible. There were large visible triangles and squares and mostly it was too difficult to move from low poly to high poly.

So my main question is this. Are there any great and in depth tutorials on building cave walls (internal and external) so there is a good transition from looking at a mountain and entering the cave. Eventually my goal is to make the cave very big, with a small village hidden inside. This is just a wip idea on a fantasy style setting.

I have lot’s of modelling difficulties with getting this done so any suggestions I will examine carefully.

I found a great cave tutorial on blender guru, which will keep me busy. If you have suggestions, please post, I will look back, but as I said, it’s a very helpful tutorial.