Problem with adding label to cylinder

[removed wrong forum]

Attachments

Hello!

After a lot of experimentation and Googling I have been able to UV-unwrap a cylinder and put a label on it. It’s like a product label with a transparent background. My problem now is that the transparent background is completely black, and also makes the part of the cylinder it covers see through. I also have no control over the diffuse color of the cylinder.

I want a white cylinder with a product label on, and the transparent parts of the product label should show off the diffuse and glossy mix shader color that lies “below” on the cylinder. How can I make this happen? I am a complete newbie by the way. Attached is a picture of my nodes, and I have no idea how far off I am.

Thank you!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478039[/ATTACH]

Hi, it is nearly impossible to find the problem without a test file with packed textures.
Other information as OS, Blender version is also welcome.

Cheers, mib

You need to get rid of the transparent shader. Plug your background node tree into the top socket of the mix, and the label node tree into the bottom socket. Because you don’t want anything that’s really transparent. You’re just using the alpha to mix the label with the background material.

Here it is. It’s copyrighted textures, so I will remove the Blend file when the problem has been solved. Thank you in advance!

See it here: REMOVED

Thank you SkpFX, I totally understand now!

This fixed it:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478054[/ATTACH]

I have a follow up on this.

Everything now looks nice, but it looks like the label is just printed right on top of the cylinder. Like it is spray painted on it. I would like to maybe set a different white color for the backround of the label and give it a bit more gloss than the rest of the cylinder. This is because those labels are often printed on high gloss paper. I think the realism gets better if you see the actual label and the edge of it.

Would the best thing be to duplicate the parts of the cylinder where the label should be and give that a different type of material? Or will I get problems with faces on top of faces and such? Is there a better way?

Yeah, don’t duplicate the geometry. That would be a mess.

I’d add two edge loops where the edge of the label would be, and make that a separate material.

Thank you so much, I didn’t even realize I could make more materials on one object. Feel quite stupid right now!

But would you mind removing the image you posted? It was a great help, but the label is copyrighted to my company and I don’t want to get in trouble for displaying it on a public forum.

Thank you very much! :smiley: