A few questions about NLA editor

Hi, I’m using the NLA editor for the first time, after watching a tutorial. I’ve managed to get all the animation data that I want in its right place, but I have two minor questions.

First one, when I add a second strip with an action, no matter how many times I set it, the extrapolation in active strip (the second one I have just added) won’t save to “Hold” and it changes back to “Hold forward”.

Second one, what is the difference between grab/move and extend transform options for nla strips?

Thank you in advance.

First one:
Because both actions share the same keyframe channels (like X Location,…). I noticed that after switching to ‘Hold’ it stays that way even when one moves the time slider, but only until one moves one action, no matter which one. Suboptimal in my opinion as well…

Might be worth mentioning to the devs…

Second one:
When the time slider (green line) is somewhere IN the action bar, extend (E) extends it to the left or right, depending on whether the mouse pointer is left or right from the green line. If the slider is NOT IN the action bar, E is the same as G (grab/move).

Thank you motimo, now I have a clearer view of workflow on NLA. BTW that bug has been already submitted.

Not sure if this will help you, but since you are using replace, it assumes that you want want this strip to start where you move it, hence hold forward. What I do if I just want to park this and have the first keyframes dominant is switch to add. Now when you move the strip, it stays on hold. Just remember that the first keyframe on hold strip may dominate other below if you are blending another strip with your strip below may confuse you as well.