BGMC (Blender Game Making Contest) 24 dates...

Hi all, I think everyone (including me) is keen to start with Blender Game Making Contest #24.
CGSky, The winner of BGMC 23 is very busy and can’t get time to organize the competition, so I’m going to get things started…
If anyone wants to help out with hosting (or take over completely) please PM me.

Please vote for the date you’d like to have the competition begin.

The competition will run for 9 days (A Saturday to the following Sunday), during which time you can use only 7 days for development. This will allow 2 weekends and 5 weekdays. All testing, bug fixing and improvements need to be done during that time. I’ll collect up any completed entries at that time and they will be put forward for a community vote.

Any further rules and info will be part of the BGMC announcement when the competition goes live.

I will be out of the country from April 1-9 so I will not be able to participate if the competition starts on either of the first two dates. I hope this will be taken into consideration. Also April 1 is 4 days away so there would not be much time to discuss the themes.

HEY Smoke… i’m new to this ba.org and i heard about the BGMC for the first time… where are we supposed to submit the entry and how are we supposed to do that ? and where and when will the voting start ?

Well, this post is just to gauge when people would like the contest to happen. Once it’s ready to start there will be more info.
Right now it looks like the 8th of April or the 15th of April would be the preferred dates.

I don’t know where to give ideas for themes, so I’ll do it here!

This is a jam being held on itch.io. I like these types of themes a lot; very specific and gives the developer a clear direction. It’s easier to be creative with these type of themes and the scope for almost all game ideas are doable in two weeks.

Just throwing an idea out there in case you were looking for something to build off of.

It seems to me that there’s way too many polls before the competition itself starts. First the dates, then the theme. As long as the date isn’t too soon that wouldn’t be a problem. And about the theme I may have a stronger opinion: I behöver the winner of the previous competition should decide by him or herself, as a part of the prize.

I got the feeling that this event has become five weeks of voting and one week of game making.

Of course a democracy is nice, I just don’t believe it’s nessecary in this case, but rather leadership.

Part of the intention of the polls is to make people aware that a competition is coming up. It’s amazing how even after two polls people still miss it.

In this case there’s been so much discussion because CGSky had to pull out of hosting it.
The theme debate has already happened, so the dates are the last step.

What is the theme?

It’s a secret until the competition starts. :wink:

I can understand the argumentation and I’m sure that it generate a greater awareness. An idea, that might be crazy, would be to have the competition at a specific time between between each competition. For an example the second week of each other month. This could, with some luck, make the BGMC get a greater flow. (What do really I know)

Man this sucks. Looks like i’ll only get 5 day to make my game.

I’m excited for this competition. But all of those weeks will be semi-crazy for me, and I hope I can be involved.

The only problem with that is most people think “Oh, I’m busy but I can do it next time. … next time… next time…”
Sometimes it can work, for example if the competition is once or twice a year, but with one that happens every month or so it would IMHO lead to fewer people taking part.

It also needs someone to be committed to organizing it each time.
Thatimster has done a huge amount for the BGMC recently, and before him others did too, but it’s a difficult thing to take responsibility for.

There won’t be any prizes this time around, it’s just for the honor and the glory. :stuck_out_tongue:
The winner can make a bigger deal of it when they host the next one, but it would be nice to have a BGMC without loads of stress for once. Maybe think of it as a mini-BGMC…
Just have fun and make a game! (even if you only have one day to devote to it).

Since I will miss 2 days of development (assuming that April 8 wins), can I use the 2 days of bug fixing for development of the game?

It might be interesting this time for people to keep a record of how may hours of work people put in to their entry. In previous competitions I usually spent about 1-3 hours a day working on the game for 6 or 7 days. That’s an average of about 14 hours over the whole week.

How about you guys? How many hours do you usually devote to a week long game jam?

Man, the BA community really does a great job at picking dates that I’m busy through lol. I have exams between the 8th and 19th xD

I usually spent about 3-4 hours on school days and like 5 on weekend days.

It might be interesting this time for people to keep a record of how may hours of work people put in to their entry. In previous competitions I usually spent about 1-3 hours a day working on the game for 6 or 7 days. That’s an average of about 14 hours over the whole week.

Depends. In BGMC21, I worked full time on it, and probably got to 40-50 hours over the event. But normally I can’t do that (obviously).
If I have an idea that really captures my attention, I’ll work 3-4 hours per night on it (~20 hours total), otherwise only 1-2 hours, and often the game doesn’t get completed (~10 hours total).

I reckon I’ll screen capture all of my development for this BGMC, and do a tally of planning, programming, art etc.
Of course, I know I’m not going to have much time for this BGMC, but hopefully I’ll get an entry in.

such wrong timings for me. I’ve got exams through out april

Add 2 more votes from me for 15 april. I may take a turn now, but only if it’s april 15.