Vertex Paining Toolkit Improvement

Hello,

I need suggestion for what improvement a blender artists will like to see in vertex painting toolkit.
Some of the suggestion are : color control , mask

Also if any feature that is in texture painting and you require to have in vertex painting are also welcome .

Thank you.

We can bake vertexcolors to UVmap.
But we don’t have a tool by default to obtain a vertex colors channel from an UVmap.

Masking is already present.
It is face masking. Maybe people would like vertex masking as in wieight paint mode.

Blender vertex colors are per face. Each corner can have a different color.
So, one vertex can corespond to 4 different corners with 4 different colors.
But a point cloud without faces can not have colors.

So, ability to convert point clouds at import or ability give colors to point cloud would be welcomed by users.

Vertex Alpha (transparency) would be a great addition. I currently have to use 3dcoat to add it, being able to stay in Blender for that would be really useful.

Agree with the two propositions above (vertex selecion mask and alpha channel)

• I think what one the biggest improvment would be to unifie the options with the texture paint :

As we can see the blending mode of the vertex paint has a “blend” option that would suits more to the brush itself as the “Blur” brush and lacks few other blending modes (but it’s probably what you say with “color control”).

Same for adding a “Fill” Brush with blending modes, currently the “K” fill with the plain color.

I understand that the current blending mode options are more unified with the weight paint but the texture paint ones makes more sense to me :
The blending modes in the weight paint are the same as the preset of brushes anyway (“blur” brush has “blur” as blending mode, “standart” brush has “mix”, “heat” brush has “add”.)…which make the changes of blend mode inside a brush (like changing the mode to “blur” inside the brush “heat”) very strange, confusing and kind of useless (since the “blur” brush already exists).
In the texture paint mode, the brushes have a certain behavior (blur, mix, erase) which are not linked to the blending modes.

• Also since the awesome last GSOC, it may be easier to add the “cull” (backface culling) option to the vertex paint options which would be super helpful.

• A gradient tool/brush would be nice (same as the weight paint one).

• (Also maybe a “merge vertex color channel” option?)

Anyway, great to see more interest in that part of Blender, I would be happy to be involving to tests if you need people :wink:

I agree having vertex alpha is really important, especially for games, may also need to be included in the fbx exporter.

Would also like to be able see the vertex color value assigned to a vert.

also would be great to have an option to always combine colors on a vertex so to make it easier to work on game assets without introducing extra verts(perhaps if you have a sharp edge or different materials it could split the verts there)

Vertex alpha would be so nice compared to only faces! Yes please!

The ability to paint only in certain channels of the vertex colors would be helpful, although there are workarounds (using add/subtract with a color such as 0,1,0 for example, to paint only in green), but they are far clumsier and more laborious than simply being able to enable/disable channels entirely whilst painting, and sometimes the data gets polluted when painting and you have to start again… (I was using the separate channels of the vertex colours for some game shader stuff, and it was not fun.)

Finally, being able to use rgba for vertex painting, instead of just rgb would be handy for cramming more data into verts. Afaik, the popular game engines support this, and so does fbx, but the exporter does not include it. Maybe it’s less useful than I think.

Vertex Alpha (with export) is a much wanted improvement for us game developers - unfortunately a previous attempt died very close to approval and now that there’s been an overhaul to the vertex painting tools I suspect that code is no longer valid.

PBVHTree tools work should accelerate this type of work*

side note = I have been painting vertex in the game engine, the data format export is pickled dictionary

worldTiles = { str([int(worldPosition.x),int(worldPosition.y)]):[key,[vertex data],Spawned,[gameObjectsOnTile] ] }

Color gradient too would be brilliant! (there was one included as an addon in 2.45). It would be great if this worked with masking.
Painting hard edges without having to mask things first would also be very nice.
And +1 for Vertex alpha channel.

Hi!
Agree with the fill option.
A “symmetrize vertex paints” option would be good, in addition to mirror draw like in the Gsoc build.

Is there a way to transfer (or interpolate / approximate ) vertex paints from/to a hires <-> low model ?
I tried the data transfer without success.
thanks.