How do I convert BI to Cycles ? (SOLVED)

I’m using the Materials Utils Specials addon that comes with 2.78c and it mostly works. The only issue is it generates ColorRamp nodes that make the final rendering grayscale. Cannot understand what I’m doing wrong. I did the following:

1. import my model from obj
    at this stage the model is imported fine and it renders fine in BI with textures
    also the imported materials from mtl are very basic just a diffuse texture and some spec so nothing fancy

2. use the button “Convert All to Cycles” that comes with the Materials Utils addon

As you can see in the attached picture ColorRamp nodes are generated, and thus the preview (and so the rendering) is grayscale. If I remove the ColorRamp nodes the rendering is fine. Just can’t understand why they are generated and how may I avoid generating them at all.

UPDATE: I did a very simple test with Suzanne and the issue stills here. It generates a grayscale ColorRamp. Am I missing something obvious, or should I report a bug ?

steps to reproduce the issue:

• activate the Materials Utils addon and set BI render
  • place the Suzanne primitive on the scene and set a color for the diffuse channel
  • select Suzanne and press the “Convert Active to Cycles” button

now if you switch to Cycles you will see the grayscale ColorRamp node is generated.

UPDATE: ok for anyone interested this seems to be a issue by design … I found the reply/solution here https://developer.blender.org/T49845