Still having problems with append and link

I have been looking through the tutorials and Google and can’t seem to get it right. I copied exactly the method below.

1.File > Append (or Shift+F1)
2.From Blender’s File Browser, go to the .blend file you want to pull from
3.Left-click the .blend file and go to the Object sub-directory within it.

(Nope I can’t. Here I get the error message “Name of Blender file” not a Library. )

4.Choose the object you want to get (you did give it a sensible name, right?)
5.Click the “Link/Append from Library” button in the upper right corner

4 & 5 I never get to.
Can you tell me where I’m going wrong please.
Dicon
Thanks

In my experience, Blender doesn’t think the .blend file should be a “library” – it’s just another Blender file. Do you have some addon installed that expects a “library?”

Thanks sabba,
no it’s just the original factory setting. I have a Blend file with each of my modules saved as Object. I have each separate module numbered in a file called Library, it could just as well be called anything else. I think that somewhere along the line I an not doing something right. I have looked at several on line tutorials and squinted at a tiny fuzzy cursor whizzing around at high speed while someone quickly explains how simple it is. It’s very frustrating. The idea being I can append each module quickly down to build a scene for a Blender Game.

Thanks for tasking time to reply to an absolute beginner. Seventy four and aging rapidly.
Dicon

Hi Dicon,

Here’s a random file I’ve got in my uploads(StretchVolume.blend (809 KB)). Download it and see if you can append from it. Also, if you could upload a file to http://pasteall.org/blend I’ll see if it works for me.

I have seen that error message before, but I can’t remember the specifics of what the problem was(It was a long time ago.)

What Blender version are you using?

Seventy four and aging rapidly.
Dicon

Blender works at all ages: I’m 78 this year! (That’s kind of an old pic of me LOL).

1 Like

Thanks for all the advice & help.
I decided to close everything down and turn off the PC. I usually leave it on Hibernate so’s I can start quickly in the morning. Turned off the computer and re loaded the Blender.
It worked OK. I can now append and link. I am not savvy enough to know what the problem was, but it’s fixed. Thankfully.
Again, thanks for all your help and suggestions.
Dicon

Glad to hear it’s working. After a great deal of head banging, I remembered where I saw that error. You can’t append from a .blend1 file. Seems kind of silly that it won’t recognize backup files, but… yeah.