Can I rotate the origin so the local axis has a different orientation?

Hello everyone.

That is the question, is there a way to rotate the origin so the local axis has a different orientation?

i don’t want to rotate the geometry because there are times when I need to leave the geometry exactly as it is, is there a way to active some kind of rotate mode where I just modify the origin orientation (the local axis rotation), also this is not just for transformation, I know I can use the custom transform axis, I need the actual orgin orientation, not just teh gizmo for move or rotate.

I hope I’ve explained myself, if not I can create a video showing in max what I mean.

Cheers!

Add a hook for all geometry and you can rotate the object as you like.

Hi JA12.

I’m a bit new to Blender as my main package, can you explain it a bit more.

In any case, thanks for your answer!

Cheers.

Edit mode, select all, ctrl+H -> to new object. This adds a hook modifier and an empty object, which keeps the geometry put while you rotate the object, in object mode obviously. If you want to view the manipulators align to the local axis, Alt+space or from the header to change the transform orientation.

Apply the modifier after rotating the object (press the apply button on it).

Great!!! Thanks!

There is just one thing, it seems I have to disable the visibility of the hook modifier to avoid seeing the geometry being rotated, but that’s it, other than that it’s great! :smiley:

Thanks!