Interior scene - First one

Hi guys.

For my very first archviz I decided to model part of my living room. Since this is an interior scene at first I struggled a lot with a huge amount of noise and then fireflies. After many tries I finally got rid of the noise and the fireflies.

The lighting is done by an HDRi and by the three lamps.

This was rendered at 800x600 with 5000 samples, took about 30 minutes.

Still have to model a few things, a rug, several book cases and the books, some pictures and then do the remaining materials.

Do you guys have any critique at this phase?

Best,

Joao

Looks very nice so far, looking forward to seeing it with more materials and more lived in.

Just two points of critique: there seems to be something wrong with the “seams” (don’t know the English word) on the sofa. Looks like some parts of it are hidden inside the pillows.

I’d consider to step away from the HDR and control the lighting more manually. The light coming from the right side produces shadows on the back wall that make the missing right wall very apparent. But I like it on the sofa so you could focus it more on that.

Oh and just spotted a tiny thing. The glare around the window is a little overdone for me and a little too green but I’m looking at this on my phone, what basically makes any points on color a little guesswork :wink:

The lighting is a bit confusing

Seems like it’s golden hour outside , but the lights inside are much brighter.

I’d either focus on the lighting coming from outside (dim inside light by about half) or add a sun lamp shining in from the window to get some bright highlights on the plane bare walls (an only dim the inner lights a bit)

Some clamping could help with the fireflies and not need near as many samples. Also, consider looking into “portals” for windows or not even use glass on the main scene. if you need the glass for the windows, render them separately. If you’re a CG Cookie member, look in the archives for Jonathan Williamson’s course on Architectural Visualization… Though it uses an older version of Blender, it’ll show you the technique I’m talking about.

Overall, I like the modeling on the sofa. It’s much softer than many I see of that kind, which is a good thing. (Many I see look completely stiff.) That said, it still looks “new”. It could uses a bit of multires sculpting to add in some small wrinkles and impressions as if it has been used. Same goes for the office chair (which seems a little odd since we can’t see the desk in that corner).

For the scene overall, I like what you have here as a start, but it still feels really empty. Think about who lives here? How old are they? What interests do they have? Do they have kids? What movies do they like to watch? What music do they listen to? Do they have any interesting hobbies? As I look back at the original post, I see now that you’ve thought of some of that, but keep these kinds of questions in your mind as you decide what you need in there. Perhaps instead of a bookcase (not sure you’d want one so close to the fireplace [I’m guessing that’s what that is in the corner]), you might put something else like a plant or something that would be able to take a little heat from being that close.

You’ve got the start of a great scene! Can’t wait to see more!

i like everything, exept from sofa.I think that you have to change something in this material. If i were you i would have get rid of all lamps(produce a lot of noise) and use just 1 hdri with texture cordinate and mapping to control it. Also with the use of portals you should have no more fireflies. At last use filmic view and play with the hdri str. I think 3000 samples might be ok with clamp at 10-5 and 2000 samples with 0.5% blurred image.

My only problems are the walls, are they really that bright, they reflect a lot of light this way, and it might worsen your firefly problem