Male face sculpture.

Hi, I need help with this face, i feel something is off but i can’t figure out what it is, thank you in advance.

Attachments

Looks like ear is misplaced, should go from the brow to the bottom of the nose.

The brow/forehead seems really far forward to me and a bit high. It’s giving a strange look to the bridge of the nose and kind of as if the whole skull is involved in raising the eyebrows. Also between the narrow jaw and the high forehead, there’s a kind of androgynous look creeping in since those traits are more suggestive of a female. Maybe try sloping the forehead hack a bit and squaring off the jaw a bit more?

The more I look at this, the more I feel like the tip of the nose is too high and too squished into the head like it should come down and out more. But that could just be me.

I agree with gradyp, but i don’t think that its only the tip of the nose, that is too far in. The whole nosebone seems to be too far back in the skull. i would move the nose out a lot with proportional editing or grab brush so that parts of the cheeks follow with it. Also i would bring the mouth and chin up a bit also with proportional editing or grab brush.
If by doing so i altered the nose to be shorter, i would then make it longer again.
Then i would change the angle of the neck rotate the base by like 20 degrees.
Finally i would smooth out the eyebrows and forehead towards the nose, because this are usually is very flat. Cheers and happy blending!

Also, from front to back, the head is a little short. It should be about the same length as from the top of the head to the chin. (not the slanted height, just up and down.)

This might sound stupid, but there’s a slight chance that you don’t need to take anything out but rather add one important detail and that would be the eyes.

I did a face comparison side by side of the changes i’ve made, i didn’t do any neck changes because i’am going to start studing the neck muscles on the next video of the course i’am on, it still have that strange feminine looking on him, i can say he’s just a handsome man but, that is not the intension.

Hey! I think the changes come off nicely. He has a somewhat feminine eyebrow shape. If you made this shape less round and also tightened up the nasolabial folds and the tear troughts he would look more manly. If this doesn’t help just make the eyes smaller, works in 90% of cases because we associate big eyes with children and women :wink: One thing that i must say though is this: I would have gone more extreme on some changes. You might just be a bit to caring with your mesh. I mean whats the worst that could happen? Trust in your abilities to fix it in case you overcorrect, but overcorrecting at first isn’t a bad thing imo it really gives you more perspectives on your mesh :wink: cheers

Hey!
Can you post something like this: Link???
I’ll try to help you

Also, it will be great if you post your references.
(and if you have the skull homework done I’ll love to see it)

PD: I recommend you to not use matcaps, just OpenGL lights, Just one, and activate the ambient occlusion. If you don’t know who just tell me.

Tell me if this is enough, i used the glsl, i don’t know how to use the light you used on your images.

I didn’t use any reference images, witch was a mistake i know, what i did was just ask some family members to stand still as i looked at their faces, the ear is mine, it is really close to the face so i tryed to reproduce that.

@Lucasip! Well if you don’t have references, you did a very good job! but is not enough, there are too many problems that are just from the lack of proper references, You should take this as your first approximation, but no, it is not to the level of the course. I’ll use as a example the eyes, you didn’t even create proper eyelids! basic proportions are of, like the neck, the nose, the placement of the mouth. Please please use references! everything will be easier!!!
I think you should take only one person, get some good references, and start again. Rafa has great videos on how to get and use references, and observation, (observation is the most important thing you have to learn!)
If you really think you can pass to the female head, go for it, but for my taste, you can improve a lot. don’t be in a hurry! You can see in my wip my progresions and my references. Take your time to make the best of the course, he didn’t even make corrections to my work because he thought it was good, if you really follow the videos you are ok. Also in my wip there are some very good advices from PixelPete, that are pure gold!
Also if you want my help I need that you do the basic references research, and I need to see them, and really use the material of the course, you have to study!!! I know you can do it!!!

Ouch, this taught me to not ask family and friends about what they think.

This are the references, i also have a gif of him as well as a movie if i need more of it. I will have to start over again then.

Nice!
But you need to have them all more or less the same size, and you need side view, and always the whole head! Try to find all more or less in the same expression.
Is difficult to find high-quality references of him! hehe you like to go for difficult tasks!

This is the skull, i forgot you asked that, also if you allow i will post my work in the facebook group and mention your help on finding out the flaws me and the other 8 people i asked couldn’t see, reminding the importance of self criticism.

Nice skull! There are fiew things can improve, but I’ll love to see all the views, and not in orthoview, but like 100 mm lens.
Also about the light, maybe you can install this addon , You can see my setup of lights in this image.
Also, notice the finish look of the skull, That is something that you are missing, your models are like sketches, not finish works.

I made some small changes to the skull, but when you post all the views I can go in more detail, and comment some things about observation and Gestalt.

Attachments

IMO, the ear could be a little more 3 dimensional. It looks a little pressed. I think the inner ridge could extend out a little more?