A Winescrapper

Hello GURUs.
I have tried this simple scene. But it feels incomplete. There are not much objects but what can i add?
Any other suggestions?
Thank you.

aah … lighting nees work… blur out the bg later on … wood looks too bumpy … materials like glass and glossy need a lot of extra ambient stuff as they have to reflect the environment… now a simple pale color of the environtment makes those materials quite dull :stuck_out_tongue:

thats a lot of improvements. can u suggest me solutions…
Thanks a lot.

maybe use an hdri as a lighti source or reflection map … decrease the bump amount and for close ups… use a better high res texture… add more lights… its all so dark… rim lights and stuff… try getting a shadow of the glass else it will look floating lol

I dont have much access to hdris and i cant really see where can i add lights. i have worked on bump.

search on blendswap for free environment maps… use them :wink:

You can get HDRIs from a number of places. If you’re on the Blender Cloud, there’s some there, but there’s a number of other sites as well.

Also, with glass, try the “Full Global Illumination” in the drop down box at the top of the Light Path settings. This will increase render times, but will give much better results for the glass.

One other thing, with the glass, look at the color in HSV. For glass, the Value should be all the way up to 100 or it will start making the glass look darker than it really is. Mainly use hue and saturation to tint it. Or use Volumetric Absorption/Scatter. (Even in these, though, mainly use the Hue and Saturation to set the color.)

As for the composition… Right now, it looks like a glass sitting at the end of a pier overlooking water. If that’s what you’re going for, fine. If not, and you just used the wood texture to have something there, think of what setting the glass might be in. Why is there? Who put it there?

Figure out some of the story of why the glass is there, and you’ll answer the question of what else to add.

You have the start for a great image though! Keep working on it!

Do a search on Google for “Free HDRI maps”, and you’ll pull up a number of sites. With any of these free options, though, make sure you read the TOS so you know what you can and can’t do with them and what you might have to do. (Some sort of acknowledgement of who made the image and where it came from is fairly typical of the free resources and some might only be able to be used for non-commercial work – ie not being used in an image you’re getting paid for.)

Thanks a lot for this.

I am working on glass and tried some hdris. But i wanna try night scene only. So wanna see if composition can make the scene better.

Night scenes are tricky, finding the right balance between enough light to see the scene properly but still feel like a night scene. As for the HDRIs, there are some night ones available, but if you opt not to use an HDRI, you still need to think about what might be behind the camera because the glass should reflect what is behind the camera in some way.

As for the wine glass color, the best results will come with a value near 1. You can darken it some, but the closer to 1 it is, the better the glass will do with the light that goes through it.

Worked a little bit and got this result. Still not happy with lighting. Cant find balance between night look and more lights.

You can already see a huge improvement in the glass itself, but as I said earlier, you’ll also want something behind the camera to reflect off of the glass, whether from an HDRI map or an image plane. A house, chairs… Something from behind the camera would be reflected. Wood still seems a little rough unless you’re going for an outdoor weathered wood look.

Yes.
Improvement is there. But there is nothing in backside. does this make any difference cause i dont think it will be that much reflective?
My base idea is to show that refraction of buildings in wine which is put in glass on a wooden plank in front of beach or river

if you do a search on Google for “Wine Glasses at night” you can find a bunch of images. Now, some are renders, but if you pay attention to the ones that are actual photos, you’ll notice that there is some reflection of the environment, even if it’s very faint.

Just as an example, here’s one from the search I did:

In this case, there were strong lights behind the person, so that’s what’s picked up in the reflection, but if you look at the bottom part of the glass, you can see fainter reflections as well.

So am declaring it completed as i think i got what i want.
Though i can make some changes if i get any suggestion.

See? it’s subtle, but those reflections help it :smiley: