Aluminium material goes dark under angle.

Hello,
I found an aluminum like material online and it goes dark under an angle. I know that this is the cost of using cycles but can I somehow tone it down without breaking photorealism?

All suggestions are welcome :smiley:

Attachments

Probably an issue with lighting and not anything really caused by misbehavior of cycles. On the front most side it’s reflecting something bright, on the far end it is not

If i turn the camera 90°(lpoking down at the object) it is plane white. As it was meant to be. The problem starts when I look at the objects fron an angle.

My point is still valid. Go to the perspective of your screen shot and move your light backwards along the object and you will see. Think of it as a mirror on the front there is a direct reflection of the light source on the back it is not because the light is not at the correct position

Show at least the node setup, preferably a scene download. Being downloaded doesn’t mean anything, plenty of bad stuff out there.
Does it use fresnel to govern the glossy color? If so, does soloing fresnel look correct (check normals are correct).
Does it have diffuse? If so, just delete it - metals doesn’t have diffuse and even alloys should probably not use it. I use diffuse in metals for GI bounces only (same color as glossy).
Does it appear correct in a HDRI environment? If so, it’s probably your lighting and scene to blame.
Are you splitting edges or using auto smooth correctly if using smoothing? Reason I ask is because it kinda looks like imported geometry, and that sometimes needs a bit of cleaning up.

Yes absolutely, I thought I indeed a link but i somehow missed it.Anyway, this is what I downloaded, the material i use is called Aluminium. https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6aAE5GMoQ5RX0pVVW15UDF1UHM

The material seems to be o.k. This still leaves the possibility of wrong lighting. Would you mind to share the .blend you are having problems with?

What is your background?

The material looks like it has a glossy components. If you have left the default grey (or black) background, then the metal will be reflecting that - hence why it looks dark.

With glossy materials - it is vital to have something for them to reflect - most issues I see with glossy materials are due to poor background/lighting choices - not the material itself.

The brighter part of the material is probably due to your light source reflecting and the bloom caused by a reasonably high roughness value on the glossy.