GLSL Lamp Shadows Turn Everything Black

So I’ve run into a problem that I can’t seem to find anywhere on the googles:

Whenever I switch the viewport shading to GLSL Texture or Material view, I can properly see everything in the way of textures, normal/bump maps, material settings (specular highlight, transparency, ect., even when mapped to an image texture).

However, as soon as I enable shadows on a lamp, everything goes black, as if the lamp has shut off. If I add another lamp, that one works, until I enable shadows on it, then it too goes black.

Of course if I render the image, it renders the lights and shadows properly.

It is only in the viewport that this happens, and it happens with Spot and Sun lamps in Blender Render mode and in Blender Game mode, which really stinks because I would like to try my hand at using Blender as a Unity3D alternative.

I am running Blender v2.76 on a Dell Vostro 1500 (old, I know, but surprisingly capable and built like a tank :eyebrowlift:) running Lubuntu linux, and my graphics card (Intel integrated) supports OpenGL version 2.1.

I have looked into upgrading my graphics card anyway, since the highly modular Vostro 1500 supports an optional (and much more capable) nVidia GeForce 8400m graphics card, but in the mean time, I’d like to see if there’s something I can do to get GLSL shadows working properly on my current setup.

Any advice is welcome, and any further questions will be answered to the best of my ability. I have refrained from adding images to keep this post short, but I can post screen shots if necessary.

I will also make a quick note that I was able to temporarily work around this problem using a sun lamp by adding a Lamp Data input in the material nodes of an object and mixing the Shadow output with the material color. However, this only works with one lamp at a time, and the shadows are less than perfect.

Nothing, huh? Ok, thanks…

Figured it out myself, and now feel kinda dumb. I was using Lambert diffuse shaders, which don’t render real-time in the game engine. Switched to Oren-Nayar and it worked fine :cool:

lambert is default, and works perfectly for me.

your graphics card is probably too old.