Realistic female critic and disscution wanted

hello friends. So I wanted to push my self to the brink of realism here.

I want to go for a realistic female, I did the block modeling of the shapes in blender and then I took it to zbrush, and here is a early blender cycles render. I did it all with a mouse since my tablet has taken a time out

Would be cool to get some feedback, good and bad.

I have a pretty extensive WIP thread, but now i could use some good feedback before getting in to retopology…
So if u have the time check it out, or just critic this image…

[ATTACH=CONFIG]478993[/ATTACH]

cheers mates

Wip
blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?419305-WIP-female

Nice work so far.

The shape of the nose is off, wider, more nostril.
Shape of the eyes is too simple, too much like american footballs. Iris is too saturated blue, and border around iris is too dark. eyelashes should thicker and bunch up together in clumps, espcially on the outsides. The eyebrow probably srats lower and curves up higher.
The lips need bump, and should come up a little bit.
The chin comes up a little, and the jawline should be broader.
The skin needs color variation, freckles, red splotches, noise, and of course a decent bump map for pores.
stronger cheekbones, and right below the eyes where the lower lashes come from needs build up thicker skin. overall more muscle and definition.
And add some temp hair, to help with proportions.
Here is a paintover:

1 Like

Hello!!! That is a very good start to go for realistic female. I will suggest this:
1 chose good references and use them (for realistic results just chose one or two persons, if you use to many it will be harder)
2 good primary forms and proportions are critical, (you have them almost right, but to perfect and to round)
3 secondary forms are also critical!!!, the skin has a lot of irregularities that comes from veins, bones, cartilage, folds, scars, fat deposits, muscles, tension, gravity… etc because of the scatter of the skin all seems smooth, but it is not, not even close!
4 tertiary details are only needed to break the specular and for close ups.

I can’t find the WIP.
Also if you can post more views with a nice matcap and no textures.

Oh I forget! nice asymmetry is completely needed!

hello photox and Tonatihu, and thx for the feedback, will go back and correct and study/fix alot …

the wip is here blenderartists.org/forum/showthread.php?419305-WIP-female ,
copy this adress in the adress bar, there u have the side views etc. :slight_smile: cheers and thx that u took time to write

so here is a little update, messed around with the particle hair just for good measures, and havent had the time to fix the black in the iris yet…

BUT to tht changes ive made, went for little thicker lips ( maybe gonna change it , not sure if I like it yet ) and some over all changes to the anatomy, made small asymmetry ( very small for effect perhaps should have more ) fixed the shape of the eyes.well here is a render

keep in mind the clothing etc isent in progress yet.

slight change to the jaw and kin and also took down the hair line a bit

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479290[/ATTACH]

last one for tonight with some better lighting , fixed the iris here aswell

Hi! Can you post more views with out the hair and the texture, so I can see the anatomy? Front, 3/4. Side, and 3/4 back. Also one almost from the top, and one almost from below. All in one image?
And if you have references (that is a must if you are doing relistic characters) I’ll like to see them.

here is the different views… im sculpting in zbrush so its taken from there, (hard to find the matching focal lenght from zbrush to blender )

and for the reference, I started using the knowledge i had in anatomy and then Ive used like 20 different references all from ppl i know to googling.

Well, I did what I can, they were to close the images. As you can see I just make the skull more realistic, the nose and the lips needed some serious fix, and the eyes were too big, 9 eyes are one head from top to chin. also, the head is not a sphere, is a sphere chop on the sides.
Anyhow, I don’t believe you can make realistic humans, if you don’t copy a lot first, and for that you need some serius references, you have to study humans, and try not to work from memory.
So my recommendation is that, chose one or to persons, make a good references board, and start study, try to copy as much as you possibly can. And I mean copy, not working from memory, or interpreting what you see.

hey Tona, appreiciate the time and advice, and I do agree on the eyes, will make em smaller in the next run, dont agree on the other changes thou , but he its a taaste aswell …

here is my latest render ( will fix the eyes later ) but i just photoshoped in some hair ,( as adviced before ) and think im starting to get somewhere.

Ok, maybe with this you can see my point of view on the nose and the lips:

hello tona, ye i can see your point.

I did do some changes here , from your points and some more looking into references

The points on the nose and lips are still valid.
I see also that the lower eyelid is not in contact with the eyeball?
Aldo the neck is to small for that big head :slight_smile:

well that went out of hand fast…, meaning i had to throw the face away, haha went crazy… so did a new head. with this reference ( since u been asking all the time :wink:

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479739[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479740[/ATTACH]

[ATTACH=CONFIG]479741[/ATTACH]

so now the blocking stage are almost done, detail and so on next

Ow Yeah!!!
Nice references, but you need 3/4 view foto if you want total realism!
Anyhow, long way to go, there you have some initial corrections.
Keep going! now, just look hard at the references, you are still working mostly from memory, just look hard to the references.

One thing that bears repeating: “real human faces are never symmetrical!”

In fact, the difference between the “left half” and the “right half” of any actual human’s face can be a bit spooky.

Hold a card up to the picture of the real-world model in an early posting on this very thread. Left half, Right half, it’s not quite the same girl!​ And yet, of course, it is.

Furthermore – it’s not always just slight differences of expression. Often, the left and the right “faces” are disturbingly different.

That is so true! But he is not there jet, first you have to make as clouse as you can, then the retopo and then the asymmetry. Maybe you can make the retopo laiter? I don’t know

hello sundi totally agree with u , and as Tona says, First I sculpt with symmetry, then i retopo, then i UV , then i add asymmetry.

made some changes now, so i went over it in photoshop and made som changes and i think theese are really accurate, dont like em but they should be accourate…