Do I always have to reconnect OpenEXR´s?

Hey there,

two short questions - I organized a project with three different renderlayers. I would like to save them as openEXR multilayer to get access to all the different renderpasses. As well I would like to have the ability to reopen it later on.

My questions:

1. Always when I start a new render and open the new EXR I do have to reconnect all the nodes which is pretty anoying. Is there a way to just replace the existing Image-Node and to keep all the connections? Am I missing something?

2. And as well I´d like to know, if there is any way to give a reroute-node the name of the pass (or somehow sign it), so it is easy recognizeable , which pass has to be connected to that node …?

Many thanks in advance!

1. When an image node is switched from one multilayer EXR to another, it will try to preserve the outputs. It may get confused if the passes are different in the new file, but it will try. Is that the situation you are asking about?

2. Reroutes can have a name/label the same way regular nodes can (see the label field in the N-panel). If you give a reroute a label, it will appear next to the reroute dot. It can be a little hard to read, at least on the default theme, but it’s there.

Thanks for your response!

1. Somehow it always looses all the connections - even if the passes / names didn´t change.

2. For organization-purposes I now used an add-node and muted it. Your way is defintly the easier way. I will do that next time :slight_smile:

thanks again!!