Nvidia Graphic Driver

Hello. I’ll start off saying I am not very knowledgeable in the area of drivers. My computer users Nvidia. Someday I would like to use virtual reality but I’ve done a scan that says my computer is not ready in the graphics department. I’ve downloaded the latest updates to it. So is it the program or my graphic card or both?

I assume that my computer is using this for Blender but I have no idea. Could anyone shed some light please or kindly lead me in the right direction?

If you could give us some more information it would be real helpful. Do you know the model of your card and your operating system?

Operating System: 8.1
GPU NVDIA Geforce GTZ 745

Is this what you need?

Yep that helps, a GTX 745 is a fairly low end card, what did you want to do in VR?

Why is my card low if it is the latest update? And I was hoping I could watch my future models be animated or just to look around. I haven’t given it too much thought. Just that in the far future I would like to play with it.

It’s more about the card’s hardware then the driver, any Nvidia card where the second number in the model name is 5 or less will be a low end card. The first number is the generation number, so the newest cards out now start with a 10 (e.g. GTX 1060, GTX 1080ti, etc). The second number denotes if the card is a low, mid, or high range card. So 4 or 5 is low, 6 or 7 is mid, and 8 or above is high. The big differences between them is the speed, amount of memory, number of CUDA cores, etc.

For VR you will want a card that is fast and has some memory for the scenes you want to walk through. The best way to determine the right card to get, is to look at the software you want to run on it, and see what they recommend. Usually software companies will state minimum requirements for the hardware on their websites.

Which VR software are you considering?

To be honest, I have no idea and don’t know enough about virtual reality. It’s just something I can think about or dream about for now.
I have heard of some brands like Oticlus. But I wouldn’t know which one to get. Thanks for answering my question btw. =)

Did you mean Oculus? If you go here you can see the minimum requirements for the Oculus Rift:

Looks like the absolute minimum graphics card you would need is a GTX 960, and they are recommending a GTX 1050ti. Your OS looks to be fine. Of course if you can afford a faster card, your experience will be better.

If you want to do Oculus VR you would need a compatible smart phone. If you want to create VR content then you will be much happier with a larger and faster card than what you have, or a big beefy CPU(s).

VR software meaning :eyebrowlift:

It’s where you can view 3d software through some kind of goggles. And then interact with it. Pretty cool.