Are we falling behind in Math and Science?

Seems like as North Americans, we are falling behind in implant technology.

It cannot be denied that there is a significant gap between East Asian dentists and those in North America (Especially in Math and Science). I know Japan was always the king but now even China and Korea are ahead of us. Yeah we might be innovating online with invoicing and billing apps, and workforce management tools, social networks and the list goes on but what about on a fundamental level.

Although there are online courses and educational platforms like Math.com, StudyPug , Thinkific and tons of others, I think it’s our core education system needs to promote more innovation, free thinking etc. Even this Vancouver based veterinarian seo expert suggests the same thing.

I think it’s time to produce another Einstein. How do we do it? Just ask any new home buyer in Vancouver. They will be the first to let you know how this lack of education has increased housing prices.

Part of the problem in the US at least is that a lot of parents have stopped seeing the purpose of the teacher as well… a person to teach.

They don’t do a good job in enforcing good behavior at home and they choose to not get real involved in their child’s education. As a result, the teachers have to spend a lot of time playing babysitter (meaning they aren’t teaching) as the parents see the schooling as a way to get a break from the kids.

What the school districts need to do is make the parents liable for their child’s misbehavior and their child’s performance if it is turning out poor, the stop-go nature of learning in some classrooms may also be a demotivating force for other kids (and the lax involvement of parents creates kids that simply don’t want to learn).

That’s not to mention the other junk going on at some schools now (which is taking time away from important subjects), some which would clearly violate the rules of the forum if talked about.

do you really think an education system produces phenomenons like “Einstein”? seems to be the curse of a thinking shaped within the concepts of industrialization - produce anything, anywhere. but its not about that. maybe the education systems for lower and middle class citizens are not aiming for a leap forward in thinking and are just “educating” people to fit into the hierarchies of existing corporative structures.

i don’t agree with Ace Dragon, most parents do well in enforcing a good behavior regarding the short amount of time they can spent for that beside running full time jobs. the dont need a break from their kids, the world we are living in is forcing the most parents to get to work and earn money! so how many hours can you spend educating your kids beside a 10h workday? 1 or 2? how many hours do kids stay in school - 8 to 9h? so don’t we spend taxes for this supervision because we need this type of system in order to do our alldy work and manage our famlilies?

teaching social behavior was always a part of education since the first education systems and is still an important part of education. maybe the approach of teachers just looking at their specific subjects won’t fit the needs of society anymore and kids of these days need different, new methods in education to get access to knowledge and its understanding.

its always easy to blame the parents or the kids and put up the knockout argument they don’t want to learn. most kids are curious and questioning about things they want to know. but interest are different and not everybody is into math.

Two notes:

• Please understand that this is an international forum. For the membership here, “we” is not limited to US citizens. Furthermore, the US didn’t produce Einstein.
  • There’s a concern that this discussion could quickly devolve into something political, a violation of our Forum Rules, so let’s try to avoid that. The thread will remain open as long as discourse remains civil.

We are citizens of the world, and education is a byproduct of motivation.

By and large many of the US youth are disenfranchised.

Work hard get into college and go flip burgers timmy.

The truth is the rewards of hard work get slimmer constantly, while the world grows evermore stressful.

A balance of a simple life with deeper interconnection, while maintaining independence seems perfect to me.
(earthships with adhoc mesh networking and automation + recycling tech)

A person whom is not stressed out, who learns and contributes because it is fun and the right thing to do, is much more beneficial to society than a “tick in a tux”.

That issue is much less likely to occur if we went back to the concept of the nuclear family (ie. the kids don’t have two working parents, resulting in them often not being around when they are needed). The father is the one who goes to work and the mother stays at home to raise the kids and instill in them discipline, teaching, and good character. This also highlights another issue in that a lot of kids also have just active parent taking care of them (with the other either having addiction issues or outright abandoning the rest of the family, basically a broken home). To conclude, one solution is to ensure that kids spend more time with their parents instead of them spending their time at daycare or with a babysitter.

Of course, many today appear to be highly offended at the traditional concept of family (but back then, the educational system seemed to do a fine job in teaching most kids what they needed to know with only a fraction of the money, that being in terms of dollars per-student, even after adjusting for inflation). Sure, the whole knockout argument thing, but there was a brief time when my mother worked as a substitute teacher and saw the motivation problem firsthand with some kids (and the district in question was one of the more affluent ones in our area).

Alright even if you look at ‘WE’ as humanity, aren’t we overdue for some serious breakthroughs? I mean all we have is Elon Musk. Electric car whoopty doo! Electric car was created way back in the day even before black and white tvs. Like around the time Ford put out the first Model T, people soon started experimenting with running cars on electricity. We need some serious breakthrough guys. We need a better fuel source, we need to stop it with these useless wars we need to evolve. Jesus it’s really annoying. I’m still awaiting a proper flying car and teleportation system. Don’t even get me started on space travel and wtf would you want to restrict the crap out of stem cell research? What kind of lives are we living? Seriously!!! This is the most comfortable humanity has ever been . . . where’s the drive to do more??? Now that’s what I call a freaking RANT!

We need this, we need that, I want this, I want that…

What have you actually done to take us closer to the things you mention?

Math is a way of experiencing truth

This was the exact point of this thread. What can ‘We’ do? You should Google the word ‘discussion’. To answer your question still . . . I’m doing something called ‘raising awareness’. Usually the first step before any change occurs . . . sighs

If discussing something on an online forum can be seen as ‘raising awareness’, then it’s not really any major step at all since anyone who knows how to use a computer can do that.

Most people who are serious about raising awareness for something would choose venues that would attract the attention of national/international news media (if your campaign starts and ends at making threads on the internet, then unless you happen to get the attention of an influential person who just happens to be on the site, you’re not going to get very far).

In addition to Ace’s rebuttal, this is a forum primarily for Blender users (I know this is the Off-Topic section for other topics and ideas, but that doesn’t change the fact that most if not all the people here are 3D artists).

If you’re attempting to grab the attention of people concerned about our current state of education, then you should post on a forum dedicated to education where it can attract similar minded individuals.

or simply set an example by living your life as you have imagined

You got it bud. Sorry if I came across as a jerk. I’ve just been hearing a lot of how the other side of the globe is doing great things and we are caught up with politics, refugee crisis, etc - I travel to that region a lot too so I’ve seen it myself (Kyoto, Seoul, Macau is on another level omg etc). I’m going to work on my passion which is art to the core and change the world my way. By inspiring people instead of preaching about stuff. This might be the liquor talking but dagnabbit it’s the truth. I would like to get 2 points for using the world “Dagnabbit” at the very least if possible :slight_smile: Cheers!

I’m detecting an incongruity which may also reveal a source of the problem. :wink: