Waiting in the Rain

I apologize for the noisy render; I intend to increase the samples next time. I’d like some advice on where I can start taking this render, because I feel as if the person in the image is a bit too static and frozen, rather than an authentic person. I’m also stuck between two different types of lightning, one in the evening and one at night, although the evening lighting looks weird since I didn’t adjust the background to match the light level of it.

Also, I am stuck between lighting up the model more or trying to achieve a silhouette, so if you can provide me with some advice, I’d appreciate it.

Theres several elements you may need to keep in mind for this picture. If you are going for a abstract geometric style, you should keep the foreground figure as he is, but what I am assuming is that this character in the foreground is meant to be realistic due to the look of the background. If you have actually made that background then I would have it put out a lot more light so there are some interesting red white and blue rim lights caught on the nose, chin, and front of the face, however, I wouldn’t recommend the blue light shining on him in the second picture. Lighting from the back pulls focus to the character because of the contrast in lighting. In terms of models, I would look into an addon called manuel bastioni lab. You’ll be able to make very realistic characters in no time. and if you download the free trial for adobe cloud, you can try out a program called adobe fuse for free and get free clothing and hair assets. I would honestly make it a silhouette rather than lighting the model more. to get a silhouette, turn up all the lights in the scene dramatically and then lower the exposure to a level you like where the character is barely visible. For info on these things I would look up the blender guru tutorial “the secret ingredient to photorealism” I think you’ll find it very beneficial. In terms of the posing, I would have the character looking away from the camera or slightly towards it depending on the feeling. The character should be at least a little bit slouched so it looks natural, and the hand could open up or look looser so it doesn’t look like it was modeled to fit the umbrella. rather the umbrella should fit his hand if that makes sense. An easy fix is to move his hand down. nobody holds an umbrella that high usually, putting the hand out of the frame is an easy fix unless you really want to show off that watch. I really hope this all helps! :smiley:

Liking the abstract shapes, and boke effect, I rather the one on the top, but also like the fact it looks like a cartoon more, that’s more on personal taste, tried something in the middle?

Awesome, thank you both for your input! ikamon, I originally planned to make him a silhouette, but I wasn’t sure if I should’ve stuck with it so I decided to add some lighting. However, you’ve changed my mind again. I’ll try the character creation plugins you’ve suggested since it’s definitely my weakness. I also created the background myself so I’ll be able to add various lights and change the brightness of it. Your advice was definitely helpful.