Trouble with Particles

Hello,

I am trying to do the beginner tutorials by Andrew Price that he posted on his BlenderGuru youtube channel that involves making a doughnut with sprinkles on it.

However, I am having trouble with the particles. I am at the point where he introduces vertex groups and I seem to do fine applying that, however, after I apply it, and I don’t know if it relates to having applies the group or not, I am having problems trying to further adjust the particles for the sprinkles.

In one case I wanted to make the sprinkles smaller in size so I edited the meshes, and this ended up somehow making them HUGE and encompassing the whole scene.

So I closed it without saving and came back today to try again. This time in stead of making them smaller I wanted to play with the rotation and so on. I had started out with like 8 different color sprinkles with two to three models for each to change up the size and shape.

However, I decided I didn’t like the look and so I deleted all but two colors and so was left with 5 meshes for my sprinkles.

However they ended up being in uniform rows, one row around the doughnut was all white, then red, then white, then red.

I was looking through the menu to try to see if I could figure out how to fix this, and after opening menu options, though I don’t think I actually changed any settings, I noticed that suddenly all my sprinkles were rotated exactly the same and adjusting the rotation, number, etc. fields of the particles no longer made any difference on the particles, much like i experienced yesterday.

Is there another tutorial you suggest that focuses on particles so I can understand this, or perhaps help me understand why I keep having making changes in the particle section not affect the actual particles and having things go way different than I intend?

Thank you!