What's the minimalist monitor specs for a blender noobie and indie gamer?

Hello,
I’m just starting on my first pc build, and I was wondering what monitor do you guys recommend for blender/ indie games using a gtx 970. I’m thinking that a 1080p monitor would be sufficient. I have yet to get into pc gaming so I’m not hyped about anything to really sway me to go higher than 1080p.

What do you guys think are the benefits for going to a higher resolution? Taking ratio into account, do things look better/are more managable on a higher pixel density? Do render take longer?

What about screen type? I’ve heard that color is very important, so how does that affect any of your choices for choosing a monitor? What screen size do you guys think is a good size, since I know that larger screen have smaller icons/interfaces?

I look forward to your input and advice.

When working on games I’d recommend looking at what monitors are used in gaming. I would not look for the super expensive wide gamut monitors used for best color representation because that’s simply not what your target audience would use. Also they are usually far to slow to play games on (at least for the competitive guys). I don’t know much about gaming monitors but I’d assume you would not need to spend nearly as much for one of those.

High resolution would be interesting because I feel working an them feels much better and you would be able to see what gamers would see on bigger monitors

i have a 24 inch, 1080p, and for a desktop monitor, i wouldnt go any bigger. just in case you decide to buy a second.

my specific model is a dell 2416h, love it to death. fast, no ghosting, excellent colors. its a lower end so the backlight is a little variant, but its nothing bothersome.

i personally dont like the idea of 4k and the like, you dont gain enough to out weigh the cons. such as DPI scaling in programs isnt as mature as it should be, the extra processing power to display all those pixels is better spent elsewhere, and the cost of the screens.

and no IPS… just, no… not for gaming.

Thank you! I’ll look it up.

Well I ask because as far as I know, gamers, mostly FPS gamers want to play at 1440p or 4K and at 144Hz+ which would cost me more money. Although I could do a 1080p at 1440Hz.

As for size they mostly play on 24"+ size screens. Which is why I wanted to ask fellow blender uses and see what you guys used.

dont worry about 144hz, its better to optimize your game for the majority, which is 60 hz. im sure you could find a game tester to see if it works at 144hz.

remember, casual gamers are just as important as hardcore gamers. you will have a lynch mob after you if your game is poorly optimized for low/mid hardware.

i may be wrong here, but i thought i heard that competitive gamers use 1024x768 to crank out as many frames as possible?

I think at least now a days, even indie gamers need an i3 so they play at least on a 1080p. Now what do you think about a 1080p at 21:9 for $200?

I would suggest that, for now, the only reason to splurge on a 4k monitor is if you are planning on generating primarily 4k content. That doesn’t go the other way of course - if you’re developing mobile/streaming app-content you’ll still want that 1080p display.

Dual monitors are almost a must-have for creation tools. With more than one, monitors larger than 24" can easily extend past “reasonable” left-right viewable distances (even more so if you wear glasses). Under ideal circumstances the entire desktop should be viewable without moving the head back and forth.

Thank you so much! Glad 1080p is enough, they are cheaper so I might be able to get more than one. So would you recommend an IPS monitor, because my current laptop suffers from bad viewing angles to an annoying degree. Thank you guys for your help and feedback! Happy blending!

NO IPS NO!

yes IPS are good for colors and viewing angles, but the LAG is awful. the last one i tried left black smears behind moving things. TN, which is the most common, is fast.

nowadays, actual monitors dont suffer from viewing angles as bad as laptop screens.

Do you think a 25" or a 27" screen is better in terms of workable screen space?

Work space on a monitor is really all about resolution and this is where 1080p really starts struggling imo.
Also anything large than a 24" monitor for a working computer will struggle with pixelation.

I used to have three 24" 1080p monitors, and the large pixels where indeed very noticeable.
For workspace and screen size I now have a 34" ultrawide at 3440x1440, it completely replaces the three 24" screens as well as looking better.

Very good for multitasking, or working on several blender viewports.

I’m not telling you to go get an ultrawide, but if you go beyond 24" you really must expect to go up in resolution as well, at least to a 2560x1440.
And going up in resolution might also mean you don’t need additional monitors.

Another thing to consider is colour and contrast accuracy, if you want your content to be enjoyed by others you really should get something that can be adjusted and calibrated to the standards, or you run the risk of having art that looks brilliant on your monitor, look absolutely horrid on a different one.
Problem is most monitors unless you go rather high-end content creator segment doesn’t really support it, and like the nvidia Quadro cards those get really expensive…

It really doesn’t matter that much lately what type of panel to get for colour accuracy, it’s all in the calibration and setup of the display, this can be a rather convoluted process and like so many things get seriously expensive, quickly.

That’s just my $0.02 and you can definitely do great things with a 1080p monitor, but it is the very minimum, and not something I would recommend if it’s at all possible to higher.