Python code doesn't run

Hi,

This free python code doesn’t run, as well there are no colours on the text. I’ve taken this from a tutorial on how to create an effect of a spark. I saved it as a .py file.

I haven’t ever used any code, I did try an example of using code to move an object but that didn’t work out.

What could be the problem with this?

Attachments

To enable colouring, just enable the syntax highlighting option adjacent to “Run Script”.

To see why the script failed, check the console (Window-> Toggle System Console).

Hmm, well the image I used was called spark.png, so the name of the script is spark.py

I tried plane.002 as that is the name of the object is that is alternative to this problem.

Attachments

problems I see right off the bat

you have “spawn” defined as an actuator and then are trying to do spawn.instantAddObject(). instantAddobject should be called from scene I think and may even be depricated. I would use addObject() instead and you can avoid objectlastcreated() altogether by defining your object as its created

bullet = scene.addObject(objectToAdd, Object addingNewObject, time)
bullet.somethingsomethingmanipulateBullet

this looks like a script for the game engine, which needs to be executed from in the game. last i checked, you cant run game scripts from the “Run Script” button.

theres a good chance you dont need mathutils either, at least in that part of the script.

Line 28 remove the .

Don’t think that’s right.

How are you running this?

This was used a tutorial, the clip I saw is from three years ago.

How complicated is it to get this code going in the game engine. If there is another way to get a spark effect, using the bricks, then I would of done that. But If want this effect, this is the only tutorial I could find on the video site.

This looks similar to the bullethole.py script in Socials FPS, it’s old. it was updated by HG1 for 2.7* (Thank you HG1 :)) and still works for me in UPBGE 2.77. (not tested in 2.78) (It’s in resourses - FPS template, but you’ll have to dig for it)
I even modified so I could get arrows to stick, (instead of bulletholes/sparks)
Do you just want to spawn bullet holes? or sparks. What do you want the script to do?
Let me know and If your interested, I could dig it up and post a blend. Possibly tomorrow.

http://pasteall.org/blend/index.php?id=46218 Threw this together quick. Here is the script I use for damage and bullet holes, and how I set it up. Hope it’s want you want. Instructions are in the top right corner. . . Oh snap . . . you just want a spark . . . well . . . For a spark, just use the spark.png, instead of bullethole.png. My bad, I thought you wanted bullet holes, should have read your post in full. Maybe the blend will give you some ideas.

I’ve done everything I need via the tutorial I have seen on the video site.

The python code is the problem. I’m using 2.76 BGE only. This should work?

As for bullet holes, I have seen a tutorial on that, so that isn’t what I wanted, but that again required python code, as did blood effect too. And again no code runs.

Part 2 is the sparks, the bullet holes I don’t need for this task at all, so at eight minutes, the narrotor explains.

The “Run Script” button makes only sense on Blender scripts - you have a BGE script = makes no sense. Therefore forget the advice to use that button as fast as you can.

Hi Monster, I think what Agoose77 meant was, the button “next to” the run script. LOL (I thought that too at first, still good advise)

@ modling blender, I got it to work on the blend i sent you. I copied the bullethole script. Named it sparks.py, changed the “ray” to “ray1”
then found ALL the words “ray” and changed them to “ray1”

then I added a ray sensor named “ray1” with a property called “hard” (because I don’t want sparks to fly if the bullet is hitting wood or something soft, only hard objects)

Then I make my sparks object (poorly) and named it “sparks” and changed “dust” in the script to (spawn = C.actuators(“sparks”) then added an actuator named sparks, add object “sparks” > time 7.

S0:
ray sensor> ray1 >hard----------python>sparks.py---------add object actuator named sparks> sparks>Time 7

now when the ray hits an object with the property “hard” (bool). Sparks fly,

I hope this makes some kinda sense.

Welcome to Python, I hope you stick with it.

Hi,

I’ve uploaded these two, so it shows what I’ve tried from suggested.

I’ve named a couple of objects sparkshit. Yeah that reads funny.:eyebrowlift2:

There aren’t any sparks display once the bullet collides with an object. Is there a physics problem with that? Both are actors, and a static, the bullet and wall.

Attachments

You look for a sensor “ray1” but it is called Ray in logic bricks, and an actuator called “sparks” which is actually named “Edit Object.001”.

This is so simple for you to find out yourself (how do you think people debug complex programs where anything can go wrong?)
Just click Window -> Toggle System Console

see where it says . . spawn = c.actuators[“sparks”] in the script. . . now look at the brick setup . . . the " sparks" is the name of the brick edit object actuator. You have . . edit object.001 . . . or something, change it to sparks. . .Change Time to 7 . . . I have a blend with working if you want it. Also you have a capital “R” where it should be small “r” in ray . . . in the ray sensor in the brick setup . . . change Ray . . . to ray

Okay I have corrected the change on the bricks. I really didn’t know about that.

I’m not a programmer, only using the bricks as is I have done some tasks, but I had LS to help me out with what I didn’t get and know how to go about it.

Nothing has changed.

I also used an FP imported from another file, its quite good the way it moves about. How ever I can’t get the bullet to fire down or up, so only any direction on a level between the ceiling and the floor. I don’t remember what could be causing that.

I was editing a different file, and I thought I’d open up the project file to continue doing some editing, and the spark effect now does work. Strange, was it a save and close action, and then open up the file that has made it work?

Attachments

We’ve said this a couple of times … show the console window! How would people debug programs if they never received error messages? (With great difficulty, and console based printing)

When people write programs, they often expect them to fail, and inform us why they failed (bugs are always a high possibility), so we have the console window open from the start.

The effect works on the left side of the cylinder wall, but not on the right.

It also works further down, but not on the rest of it, only in a small area of it.

Attachments

import bge

NOT: Import bge, python is CASE SENSITIVE

anything used with the ADD-OBJECT needs to be on a hidden layer only.

it would do you well to learn how to name things with meaningful names, that way you know exactly what the console is talking about.

Right like what?

The effect I created is on a different layer.

As for the lower case i, I didn’t know about that.