Will Blender have a cloud based modeling solution in the future?

I just got an idea from online 3d modelling services. Blender should have a cloud based 3d modelling solution with affordable monthly fees. Cloud based means you could use your tablet or phablet to quickly edit your scenes or sculpt on the go and then finalize them with the main blender app. It will compete with Autodesk by giving free basic features and an affordable monthly fees for more advanced features.

oh god please no

Such a service would premise taking the advanced modeling features out of Blender and then selling them back as a paid product through the existing Blender Cloud service. That would probably go over badly enough so as to kill Blender as a project (as even Autodesk hasn’t gone that far in terms of bilking users).

What the BF could do for extra revenue is start up a rendering service as part of the Blender Cloud (so for your monthly fee, you get access to a machine with a massive core-count so as to make it possible to bang out Cycles animations, even if they have difficult lighting). That would have the advantage of supporting the latest Blender features as soon as they get into master.

I didnt realise until recently how much blender cloud has helped blender in terms of revenue. Right now there are 2896 active subscribers (https://cloud.blender.org/stats/series/total_sold) whcih means ~$28670 USD a month or ~$344044 a year. Compare that to the blender development fund being around $8000 per month its a significant increase.

Sure they have more artists then developers, but it all feeds back into the blender eco system and helps development overall.

Clara.io already has this covered. It’s got some pretty neat functionality, like multi-user editing, but I don’t think it’s taken off quite the way Exocortex had hoped. As far as Blender supporting something similar, I’d say that the chances are very close to 0 within the next decade unless there’s some huge paradigm shift in the 3D field.

I second this, I would love a “Render in the cloud” option built into Blender. Then I could up my resolution and samples and deliver quicker too while freeing up my own comps.

Well you can already do that using the different solutions to use Amazon service.

I have beta tested the Nimble Platform, and it’s what you are talking about.

Yeah that’s what I am looking for. I hope it success. I like the idea of being able to render on cloud and store your Blender project on cloud so you can access it anywhere with any devices with Blender installed.

a cloud based solution would never be feasible…based on the way everything scales up models versus latency and the human reaction time…I would say no, and even hell no…I would not want it with todays technology or even tech from 10 years from now.

You know you spend too much time on the internet when you think everything should be “cloud based” and start using terms like “phablet”.

There’s more to life than the internet.

Yes.
Exactly that.

A thousand companies had customer data released to the public because the where so stupid and fell for the cloud meme.
This shit is simply not safe.
Just take a look at the “internet of things”, it should be renamed to the “internet of bots”.
Most of the companies dealing with something something cloud, banking in on the fact that 75% of customers are simply not intelligent enough to think straight about that topic. They just throw some buzzwords around and the gullible masses swallow it like the stupid sheep they are.

Sometime i think people who use computers and internet should have to absolve a test and only get an Computer and Internet License if they have demonstrated to be not total idiots. Otherwise people should be forbidden to use them, like its forbidden for minors to drive a car or own an firearm.

A lot of people have an odd sense of proportionality regarding appropriate levels of security. Does it really matter if your cat video (yes, deliberately exaggerating but not by much…) is in a slightly less secure cloud location than a fully air-gapped zero-connectivity system?

So that you need internet connection to use Blender ?
Why don’t you sell your soul to the devil while you are at it ?

Can you imagine using Blender halfway and the internet went down ?
Can you imagine having your files held hostage ?

cough company cough says “Remember you own your work and your files ! But if you didn’t stay with your subscription, we regret to tell you that you can’t open that which you have created and own, in other word, we OWN YOU Bitch !”

If Blender ever become Cloud based, I will be out of Blender so fast, I might become the next Flash.

I just got an idea from online 3d modelling services. Blender should have a cloud based 3d modelling solution with affordable monthly fees. Cloud based means you could use your tablet or phablet to quickly edit your scenes or sculpt on the go and then finalize them with the main blender app.

Why dont they just make blender build from tablets / phablets? They had a project back in the day with an android build – https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zj4AmAElqzg . Quite old, but no cloud services are needed / no monthly fees?

It will compete with Autodesk by giving free basic features and an affordable monthly fees for more advanced features.

It already competes with autodesk giving all features for free and no monthly fees for advanced features.

This.

I am fine with “cloud” tech if “cloud” means my LAN… Otherwise NO.

It always seems like people find ways of “saving” money by spending yet more money all the while wasting even more resources (servers/electricity/network/people) and becoming more dependent on those resources.

It’s the same attitude that results in a simple web page with static content (that should be a few kB html file) becoming a gigantic pile of crappy bloated javascript frameworks trying to pull the actual content off the same server that is running a huge over-complicated software stack. But oh boy “CLOUD. FRAMEWORK. SERVICE. PARADIGM. BLOCKCHAINS. SOCIAL. WHATEVER. AI.” It’s all a bunch of fancy marketing wank designed to soften the implicit dependence being created (and the perpetual loss of your money).

People said lots of these same things about shared docs (as in: word processed docs) in the cloud. Yet more and more people accept that as a good way to work. It has certainly drastically changed (for the better, in my opinion) collaborative working on written docs. It will be interesting to see if something similar happens with 3d content creation. It may or may not.

If you work as a freelancer and you sign an NDA and can be sued for breaking said NDA even if the product is shitty advertising, then YES.
If the cloud and Blender is misused as attack vector to infiltrate my PC, then Yes.

Also the slightly less secure cloud location is not only slightly less secure, its an unknown factor i have no control over. It can be tremendously insecure and i have no chance of knowing.

The best data security is when shitty companies have no data from you so they can’t fuck with it.
A lot of people a very careless with their data and it will bite them in the ass, its just a matter of when.

This guy gets it. :yes:

Blender as a paid service would violate blender license terms, (even if Tom himself did it, but he’s verry strong against licenses).
Blender is free to use current license models are in place to keep it free for use and no licenses required to use Blender.