Difficulty with GPU

Hi, my PC uses an AMD Radeon R9 200 series that I got before I began using blender, it’s a pretty high-end gpu so I wouldn’t want to throw it away, especially because so many people get AMD cards working, but not me. Firstly, when I try to enable it in the User Preferences, my card doesn’t show up, it just says ‘Pitcairn’ with no other options.

And then, if I attempt to enable the Pitcairn option, when I render, the screen shows up a flat grey, but on occasion, shows an image, yet it’s much darker than a CPU render, despite working fine on render preview mode.

I’ve looked around for a while but at this point I’m well and truly stuck. Send Help! :slight_smile:

Pitcairn is indeed the (code)name of your GPU. That’s how it presents itself.

AMD GPUs have always been causing trouble one way or another, for years. You give no information as to which version of Blender you use, which driver you use (on which OS). Your best bet might be the latest official drivers on Windows, on the latest stable version of Blender.

If you can’t get it to work now, you can still try again later. Development is ongoing.

My experience is the opposite, at least when it comes to the viewport.