Looking for help on various space effects for animations

There are certain effects I’d like to learn how to do, but having never touched particles or anything else related to effects work I don’t know where to start. I’m not even sure I’m posting in the right forum - I don’t know if particles are what you’d use for this.

Examples of the sorts of things I’d like to do:

Diffuse rocket plumes like this - tutorials abound for rocket plumes, but they’re smokey, firey, atmospherey affairs and not really what I’m looking for.

Flashes, very transient smoke and the muzzle flash-like effects on the pusher surface.

The common theme here is I’m looking to do effects that are sort of smooth clouds rather than discrete particles. I don’t get the feeling that any sort of complex physics simulation is called for for this. Any help is appreciated - whether on how to specifically create effects like this, or resources I could use to get a handle on effects work in Blender/Cycles in general.

My poor spaceships need fx badly. They’re so naked without. :stuck_out_tongue:

Apart from the very beginning, that rocket exhaust looks like a flickering spotlight, or a cone with a textured emission volume. Use a noise texture or something to break up the material, and a mapping node to move the noise. As for the other effect, you said it yourself.

muzzle flash-like effects

They basically are muzzle flashes. I’m sure there are a few tutorials on muzzle flashes in Blender.