Rendering Problem

Hey everyone, I have been searching the internet for some time now and I still cannot find an answer to this problem, and I have seen people with similar problems, however they aren’t entirely the same.

I am trying to render a scene for an animation I am working on, however when I go into “rendered mode” it says this “CUDA error at cuCtxCreate: Launch failed”.

Specs -

Intel Core i3-6320 CPU @ 3.90GHz

16GB Ram

Windows 10, 64 bit operating system

GeForce GTX 1060 3GB

(if you need any more just ask)

I have it on GPU Compute, I’ve checked I am on Supported set not experimental. I just don’t know why its saying this and when I render it looks like this (see attachment). I appreciate any sort of help from anyone. Thank you.

Attachments

STOP CROPPING SCREENSHOTS.

you cut out the blender version and all those beautiful stats on the top bar.

Okay… heres the full thing

Attachments

If you’re getting that error it means your scene is taking up more than the 3gb VRAM on your card. You have a slower CPU but it seems like you’re going to have to render this scene on your CPU or simplify the scene a little.

Is there a way I can find out how much VRAM it is actually taking up?

And will it only just slow it down… are there any changes in quality?

i use MSI afterburner to monitor stuff, theres also EVGA Precision X, CPU-Z or GPU-Z.

what blender are you running? the error up in the top bar is blocking it. you should be running 2.78 and up if you have the GTX 1000 series GPU.

yeah its 2.78

No rendering on your CPU will just be slower, no other noticeable changes.

okie I can put up with that I guess. Thank you everyone for your help.

i noticed you have alot of stuff non-visible. if its on the same layer, it will be loaded into ram. stuff on invisible layers will NOT be loaded.

split your scene into as many layers as practical, then enable and disable layers per camera. minimize subdivisions. images use up alot of ram.

Ahh I get you. Thank you, I shall do this.

Turning off render visibility (camera icon) will prevent the object from being exported, so it won’t use extra memory even if it’s on a visible layer. What does still take memory is hiding a layer in the render layers tab instead of setting ‘exclude’ for that layer, as that merely hides the object from camera rays. It will still be loaded so it can appear in secondary bounces.