Second Attempt at Interior Render

Hi all,

So this was my second attempt at a serious archviz interior render. The aim of this project was to improve my skills with cycles and realistic materials.

In terms of subject matter I wanted to visualise my own flat but if I gave it a modern look/feel.

Please tell me what you think because I would like to improve it and place this in my showreel. I’m seriously considering going into the ArchViz industry.

Please note the close up of the wine glasses is an old progress render. Will upload the new one sometime during the next few days.

1 Like

Here is the updated Wine Shot:

The scale in the close-up seems a little bit off. If you google images of “wine glass and bottle”, you’ll mostly find pictures where the glass is taller than just half the bottle.
The living room shot is decent but could use some texturing on the curtains. Another thing is that in interior shots you’ll often find that the windows are overexposed:

Adding some subtle glare while brightening up the background can help sell that realism a bit.

Something about it seems a little dull. Perhaps adding an interior ceiling/tower lamp may help break up the even-ness of the lighting? Though that could also be fixed by raising the exposure.

I also think the couch needs some texture—I can’t tell if it has any from the current renders.

1. There are no shadows. Or at least not any particularly visible ones.
  2. The glass is way to small to be focused on (depth of field)
  3. The angle look weird together with the focus. The glass almost looks as if it could’ve been copy pasted into the image.
  4. Maybe too much depth of field?
  5. The glass has some kind of dark noise to it that makes it look blurry, which doesn’t look so well considering everything around it is also blurred. If everything is blurry then there is nothing to focus on. I suggest that you make the glass either lighter in color or more transparent. Or both.

I really like the second image because it’s very comfortable to look at. Beautiful exterior and good composition. Perhaps the table is a bit far from the sofas? I am not sure.

I am just a noob at blender, but I think the glass is too small like Profanity said. I also think the rug is too solid. It looks like the rug is too high for a rug.

There are no lights. Make some wall or lamps in the room.

There are no curtain rod brackets.

I also think you need to make the TV wider. TVs that big are generally wider.

The small window curtain looks out of place. Place the curtain at the end.

Add another compartment to the wooden box below the TV. This will give it more detail.

Now, my biggest concern with this image, is that a big window or a door? If it’s a window, don’t let it touch the floor. If it is a door, make a pavement or a porch or something outside. Also rotate the HDR, if that what it is. It looks like the house is in the middle of a park. Like this: http://cdn.home-designing.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/05/modern-room-with-garden-view.jpg

I love the second shot of the room. It feels more alive.

Ok, that’s some serious criticism coming from a noob. :smiley:

I agree with profanity there, the windows could use a bit more light.

Hey, thanks for the feedback. You were right about the overexposed windows. I knew something was off but I couldn’t place my finger on it. How is this?

if you add a small cutting board with cheese and crackers next to the wine it would look a lot better.
it is looking good though

The storm trooper has a bit too much weight. It’s a human(oid) figure, and larger than the coffee table, which I assume is where you want the focus of the eyes. Either swap it out with something a bit more abstract, or remove it completely. This wouldn’t really be necessary if you break up your render into several shots of the scene, perhaps two, one to focus on the coffee table and one sofa from over by the entertainment center, and one from this general view, but further into the room, like where the loveseat meets the sofa.

Maybe try out filmic blender. It helps a lot when it comes down to realistic light. Or u can export it to unreal engine and work with the post processing volume. But I think Filmic blender add-on is the best idea.

Great! Thanks for the feedback guys! I was thinking, could this scene maybe use some in-house green foliage (pot plants etc) to maybe add some colour variation (to break up the dull black, cream and red colours)?

I don’t know how you placed the objects in the scene, but using gravity to sit them on things would help. Things like the rug and table would look better if placed using gravity.

You mean, using a physics simulation on the objects to place them? Maybe use a cloth simulation with the rug?

That is what I am saying. It will give them more realistic look. It will make them have precise placement on top of the objects they sit.

I’ll give it a go! Thanks for the feedback! I know it doesn’t look like it but the rug actually is flat against the floor. Its the fur/cotton/carpet material that makes it look like its floating. I guess I’ll just refine it a bit more.