Amd r9 280x vs Nvidia gtx 1060 which has best open-gl viewport performance?

I am currently using a 6 years old Amd r9 280x 3GB for blender modeling and open-cl rendering, but it’s getting very slow in games and other applications the only 2 things that are very good one the card it can handle over 10 Million polygons in the viewport with great performance something my much older Geforce 550ti never could have handled as it used to get unusable at around 2 Million polygons, i also have another pc with a Nvidia gtx 960 and in some viewport modes it’s even faster than my current Amd card but in others it offers no hardware acceleration at all which is a very big problem with nvidia based cards, would i have the same issues if i bought the new Nvidia 1060 6GB cards or does it have legacy open-gl limitations that do not work with some blender viewport modes and other applications or not?

TL;DR: Will getting a Nvidia Gtx 1060 always be faster in all blender related modes than the much older Amd r9 280x?

Have you tried looking at youtube benchmark videos, that is how I made chose my GPU for blender.

I did not find any for the open-gl viewport performance only cycles rendering, what card do you use?

The R9 280X came out less than four years ago. Unfortunately, it is based on the older GCN1 architecture, which will not be supported for OpenCL rendering in future Blender versions, so that might be another argument for a new GPU.

it can handle over 10 Million polygons in the viewport with great performance something my much older Geforce 550ti never could have handled as it used to get unusable at around 2 Million polygons

There’s a problem with double-sided shading slowing down NVIDIA cards - make sure to always have it disabled.

I also have another pc with a Nvidia gtx 960 and in some viewport modes it’s even faster than my current Amd card but in others it offers no hardware acceleration at all which is a very big problem with nvidia based cards

Which modes would that be? I’m not aware of any other problems besides the one mentioned above.

would i have the same issues if i bought the new Nvidia 1060 6GB cards or does it have legacy open-gl limitations that do not work with some blender viewport modes and other applications or not?

Make sure it’s not just that one issue (double-sided shading) that is slowing you down. The issue probably still exists. For the “full” OpenGL feature set, you need a professional card (Quadro), but the same is true for AMD cards. NVIDIA seems to lock down their GPUs a bit more than AMD, however.

TL;DR: Will getting a Nvidia Gtx 1060 always be faster in all blender related modes than the much older Amd r9 280x?

In order to give that answer, I’d need to have both GPUs and perform some extensive testing. That’s not gonna happen. The viewport is being rewritten as we speak, so it would be kinda pointless anyway.

Thanks for the heads up.

There’s a problem with double-sided shading slowing down NVIDIA cards - make sure to always have it disabled.

One would have thought such a basic thing would be fixed in 2017.

Which modes would that be? I’m not aware of any other problems besides the one mentioned above.

3 of the textured modes, non solid.

Make sure it’s not just that one issue (double-sided shading) that is slowing you down. The issue probably still exists. For the “full” OpenGL feature set, you need a professional card (Quadro), but the same is true for AMD cards. NVIDIA seems to lock down their GPUs a bit more than AMD, however.
Alot more i would argue, i remember getting 3-4 times the performance on my amd card.

In order to give that answer, I’d need to have both GPUs and perform some extensive testing. That’s not gonna happen. The viewport is being rewritten as we speak, so it would be kinda pointless anyway.
I have been asking for that for years, will it use vulcan?

One would have thought such a basic thing would be fixed in 2017.

It’s not a bug, it’s an intentional limitation. They want you to buy Quadros.

I have been asking for that for years, will it use vulcan?

No. Vulkan doesn’t really offer that many benefits for an application like Blender. It is also harder to use and its hardware/OS support is limited (no Mac OS support). I’d say Vulkan support at this point would be a complete waste of resources.