Radeon Pro Render (Tests, tips)

Hey guys just starting this thread for the Radeon Pro Renderer in Blender.

In this thread I will talk about some of the tips I have found most helpful for anyone just starting out or who do not have AMD GPU’s, because even though not supported, Nvidia still works.

Here I took an old scene and just added some default materials, changed a few settings and got this:

How to install:
-Install it like you would a regular add-on, it has it’s render built into the .zip addon file.

How to use Non-AMD GPU:
-Under RPR Render Resources, check the “Include Uncertified Devices” box, now click GPU in the drop down list and select your GPU.

Tips:
-If starting out, I would suggest only using RPR Quality/Type to change your main rendering settings because I’ve noticed changing something as little as Anti-aliasing can give you a messed up render if not done properly. My settings are as follows for Quality/Type
-Render Mode: Global Illumination
-Render Quality: High
-Viewport Quality: Normal

-If you use the provided material library, use the copy textures locally feature so you don’t have to reference them every time you render.

3 Likes

Prorender is covered under NDA at the moment, what you are doing is against their rules.

Thanks for the share.

I like the pro render. I’m testing the BMW file. I Tried a volumetric just to see if it works. It works.

1 Like

@bigbad - Looks good, what quality settings did you use?

I had Clamp Irradiance @ 3.00

Max Ray Depth 20

AA Samples 32 Grid 4

I didn’t find any more settings for quality. It was good right out from the box.

I’m using the blender files from their git repository. This is the classroom. I limited it to 8 minutes.

Hi.
Is it possible to get the Linux version somewhere?
Is this Open Source?

They are working on a Linux version and it’s open but I’m not sure if it’s open source.

http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/software-technologies/radeon-pro-technologies/radeon-prorender

apply here
http://pro.radeon.com/en-us/software/prorender/

Yes, but very confusing for my lack of knowledge … :slight_smile:
I can not find download link… Also they promise to be Open Source, but apparently only SDK.
I also see that they have a GitHub repository, but I do not understand either :spin:

It’s going to be free and work with Blender. That’s something to be happy about :slight_smile:

What about render times? Does CPU+gpu rendering produce faster results? Compared to cycles ,and what about material? Its node base?

It’s node based and about the same speed as cycles but there is noise. But as cycles. The longer it renders the less noise. For some reason I like the prorenders results a bit better than cycles. Reminds me of luxrender.

Rendered on ProRender 1.2.8 with Blender 2.79RC:

3 Likes

Wow !
Settings to share ?
thx !

great render.

The burger was basically just using the built-in RPR-uber2 shader with lots of subtle procedural textures to layer the effects.

My thoughts on the ProRender engine:

• It’s slower than cycles at the moment, but it’s probably expected since it’s an early beta.
  • The material node is missing a lot of adjustment nodes that makes it easy to tweak your textures (contrast/gamma/hsb/level, etc)
  • Instancing doesn’t really work in the latest version I tried, so you can forget about trees or grass.
  • It’s able to render-out-of-core, meaning you can render a scene that’s larger than the available vRAM. This is huge for a big production.

Yeah, I’ve messed around with it as well and found the same.
Still quite crashy as well in my testing, although it’s nice to have another option on Linux.

I’ve tried to make the volume shader work, but it seems to only act like Cycles’ Volume Absorption no matter what I do… What settings did you use?