Blender FBX files to Nuke/Maya

When modeling for Nuke I generally use Maya but I much prefer to work with Blender if I can. Issue is that I’ve been having a lot of issues with exporting FBX files; camera data + mesh. I can import FBX 6.1 files into Nuke, but while the mesh data seems fine the camera is always at an incorrect angle (with compute rotation checked or unchecked) and FBX 7.4 doesn’t even work at all, even though it’s selected by default. I’ve been attempting to import FBX files from Blender to Maya but that causes all sorts of mesh errors, seemingly at random.

I’ve noticed the FBX issue has been raised a few times but I haven’t seen any definitive answers as to how to get it to actually work. There have been a couple of folks I’ve seen that suggest diving directly into Python, but I’m terrible at coding and it seems kind of absurd to have to go that far to just export a simple FBX. I’m pretty frustrated with all this because while Blender is so well featured I keep running into deal-breaking issues with importing and exporting files.

Am I possibly doing something wrong? Are there any plugins or updates to do this?

try to export as alembic (.abc)

Thanks for the reply. I also had a go with Alembic but had the same problem. Incidentally the camera angle was in the exact same wrong position that the FBX file was, so whatever problem there is it seems to be the same between the two.

I’ll try more settings combinations with the .abc files, will just have to go back to Maya for now.

can you share a testfile?

another option could be to use the “Old” .chan exporter in blender to export the camera translation data seperate

Ah yeah I came across a few things about the .chan exporter. I may try that later on. I’ll see if I can post a test file when I get to my work laptop. I had the .FBX issue on two different computers with just a cube and camera, so I imagine it’s nothing unique.

I’ve tried again with the alembic files and had some success, no problems at all and the geo/camera problems didn’t come up. That worked out for a few hours but now Nuke crashes any time the readGeo node loads my .abc files. Trying to isolate the problem at the moment, most likely my fault because of bad geometry rather though.

Found the issue. For some reason all of my geometry had been duplicated multiple times and left at the same coordinates (so multiple vertices were in the same locations). I deleted the extra copies, re-exported and now everything works great.

Thanks for the help.