New version of Gravit Designer online

For those who want to have a cross platform vector design tool that saves into SVG for Blender
there is a new version of Gravit Designer is out. They offer many new functions such as:

• Pages with master page templates
  • Web and local fonts
  • Styles for text and graphic FX
  • Anchors for responsive design
  • An updated FX system

And the app can now be downloaded as an app through the Mac and Windows app store. iOS and Android coming soon as well.

Text styles currently are based on the frame not yet inline. And the master page templates are based on existing pages you will see all the time. Performance can slow a little when you add too many images but they are working on improving those shortcomings now.

But still as a cross platform tool this app is pretty amazing.

https://designer.io

I tried it. it’s really user friendly. For now, the only thing that missing is that it not recognizes some fonts which are installed on my PC.

Send Alex and Linus an email with the font that does not work.

Alexander Adam <[email protected]>
Linus Lim <[email protected]>

Ok thanks. Really nice and easy software :). Do you know if there are some path presets for spirals or others ?

I do not think so that there is a spiral preset. The app is still under heavy development.
Suggest it to Alex and Linus - they listen a lot to feedback.

Gravit does not have everything yet Inksapce Illustrator or such has but I feel they are on a good track and best bonus it runs on everything!

Can never have enough vector apps. Thanks for the info.

I started to use Inkscape a few months ago but (even the software being amazing) that interface really bothers me. Talking about functionality and being production friendly, can Gravit in the current version beats inkscape? (don’t want to start a this-tool-vs-that-tool battle but I need to know before spending time learning a new tool).

If you are familiar with Illustrator, you won’t have any problems with Gravit Designer… very similar features & shortcut keys. Inkscape is closer to CorelDraw and I like it a lot. Gravit is still an infant but it does some nice things and is very user friendly. I hope to see it continue to grow.

nothing wrong with A vs B when you compare what they can do
in the end it comes down to the tools you need.

what type of vetor work do you do ? then I could tell you more if Gravit can deliver.

Some general stuff like logo or layout studies and mockups but sometimes I do things more specific and advanced like architectural diagrams (when it comes to architecture I usually use other softwares for the drawings and use Inkscape to make some graphic improvements but in urban design I use Inkscape since the very first project line).

I don’t like Illustrator very much (neither Corel) and I just fell in love with Inkscape but that interface really bothers me and I don’t believe it will change soon. Gravit has a really cool interface but I wanna know if it can be used in a daily (non advanced) production pipeline or at the moment it’s just a hobbyst and early adopters tool.

Yeah Inkscapes UI is a little odd - plus it lacks certain tools I need.

For that type of work you mentioned I think Gravit will be good.

In contrast to Inkscape Gravit offers:

• basic version of pages
  • it has amazingly well working live booleans and clipping which can be adjusted via drag m drop reordering how objects stack,
  • the effect system is very powerful and can be stacked, meaning you can add more than one fill or stroke definition to an object
  • local and web fonts which I think is ideal to have
  • text and font styles that can even be shared among projects

Where Gravit needs improvements:

• more snapping - currently you cannot snap onto a path when drawing a new path (crazy!!!)
  • align selected path nodes

Their roadmap is very intriguing indeed: interactive prototyping tools and animation tools will be added. Seems to me like Gravit might grow into a true spiritual successor of Freehand and Fireworks.

I was skeptical when version 1 was released (I expected Gravit to become abandonware again), but now I am excited to see where this may lead.

Yeah with such new apps it is always an issue

I think they will try to combine Freehand Fireworks and Sketch into one better app.

And it seems tho they are on good track now - also financially because they started to license their framework
to bigger companies.

For me what is missing is:

Faster speed with images
Ability to link images - not embed
Ability to show proxy preview of linked images
Text styles for text selection
Snapping for paths
Wrap / deformation tools (effects)