WIP Institute Hallway

Hello everyone, I am pretty new to CG.

I am attempting to recreate a now abandoned institute that has completely deteriorated over the past 20 years.

My goal is to render a “then” picture of the same place.

So I have got the basic modeling of the hallway down in terms of objects, but I just can not get any realism out of this render.

It seems like no matter which way I go I can not get realistic lighting in the environment. I have tried using lamps, and objects with emission but the scene just doesn’t have any character. Am I adding too much light? Currently in the scene I am using 3 prism shapes for emission for the fluorescent light fixtures (top side parallel to the bottom of the fixture to illuminate the inside of the fixture, and the other 2 sides at 45 degree angles to illuminate the walls/floor).

Is it because of the material I am using for the walls possibly? They are all just diffuse, is I set them to semi-gloss with some texture would it yield better results? Everything just seems so flat.

I am probably the noobest of noob when it comes to this. As I look at other peoples projects it completely baffles me.

Any advise at all would be well appreciated.

I am using Cycles, 1000 sample.

Thanks

If you want realism in your blender projects theres only a few steps you have to take. First of all, look up CynicatPro’s tutorials on PBR node setups. Its a lot of complicated language but if you can make it through all of his tutorials you will understand why your materials may not look real like other renders. The next step to take is just plug all your textures into the nodes the tutorial teaches you how to make and then finally look at this tutorial here https://www.blenderguru.com/tutorials/secret-ingredient-photorealism/ and follow the steps for installing Filmic Blender. Its very easy and all you really have to do is crank up the lights energy in your scene and everything will really start to look better. I really hope this helps!!! :smiley: