Mesh flutes/cutouts help

Hey all,

Need some help/advice with a model I’m working on. Newish to blender, this is my second car model.
Am having trouble making the flutes/vents in the side panel of the front fender, see reference photo for what I’m trying to achieve.

Have tried face extrusion, knife tool etc, but the subsurf mucks up the rest of the panel and also leaves rounded corners, and edgeloops to fix rounding stuffs up smoothness of panel.

Any suggestions?

Cheers

For any Australian blenderites the model is a Holden HK Monaro.

All solved

Why don’t you tell us what you did to solve it so it helps other users? After all, that’s what this site is for. It’s here to help everyone and not just you.

Well seeing as you asked so nicely :stuck_out_tongue:

It was just a simple matter of applying the subsurf, then model the flutes so I didn’t have to deal with that annoying ‘one bad vertex stuffing up the rest of the model’.

With subdivision

Nice, I see you’ve found the shrinkwrap modifier too.

I will be curious to know the workflow you have use.

Concentrated on the cutouts, the rest were just an afterthought for the heck of it

1. First I looked the forms and where the supports should go
  2. Basically this
  3. As a mesh
  4. Shear
  5. Repeated pattern and filled the gaps
  6. The cutouts is a detail and for it to have lesser impact on the surrounding geometry, it badly needs loop reductions. There’s a good opportunity for those: 3 to 1 loop reduction vertically, there’s multiple face loops instead of one all around, but the supporting edges are still there.

I cut the faces out for this but in the original they were left filled for extruding later.

really nice JA12, thanks you very much.