I make large naritime routes in BGE up to 45 km : Still work OK in future BGE updates

I make large maritime historical basic routes in BGE using satellite srtm2 data and 3DEM terrain texture colour and latest Blender script to create the terrain . 25km to 45 km in size.
I am working around part of the UK…up to route 30 starting from Solway Firth and heading to Thames.
Routes are available for download.These will be updated on an ongoing basis.

However what will be the position as regards these SERIOUS simulations with the future Blender Game Engine. In my opinion Blender at present time can do a lot more than only make small games and artistic creations.

If the future updates stop serious large simulations being made it will be a big loss and a waste of 100s of hours of my time and possibly of other people!

My site and downloads

Barry

P.S. spelling error in heading which I can’t alter

http://www.barrygandsw.co.uk/intro01.html

If the future updates stop serious large simulations being made it will be a big loss and a waste of 100s of hours of my time and possibly of other people!
Why do you think any changes will stop basic ‘simulations’ like your being possible ?
Old versions of blender are always available for download to still use

They are also made for other people to download who will need the current version of Blender to open the route (blend file)! So as far as I see it will be small games and artistic design…of no use to me!

B

As regards my maritime route making they will now be available five at a time in rotation …so far up to 33 uk coastal routes made and and some way to go until I reach the Thames Estuary from Solway Firth. Age of sail so up to about 1815 maybe
The download availability might alter depending on my site usage and future Blender updates.

Barry

Making large ‘maritime’ routes in Blender seems to work OK and the size so far is up to about 45 kilomters square, as it all depends on the coastal shape of the land and especially the sea-bed. The key to making them run easily is to use the ‘limited dissolve’ function on the seabed, after lowering it to about 10 meters, which reduces the quantity of vertices up to half or more.

I am still using 3DEM to make the basic texture, but you can easily select an area of srtm2 data using OpenStreetMap to set the co-ordinates and then use the latest script to generate the srtm2 based terrain but it would then need to be textured which could be difficult on large size routes. Up to Isle of Wight, 35 routes and will start updating after I reach the river Thames…maybe another 10 routes.

Barry