BGMC | Blender Game Making Contest 24 FINISHED!!!

Hello everyone, thanks for your hard work and innovation during this BGMC. The competition is now officially finished.
I’ve played all the entries that were uploaded in the finished games forum. So far that’s 9 entries.

All work in blender 2.77 except for Manic Mack which worked OK on UPBGE 1.4 which I still had installed from the last BGMC.
I’ll put together an all games pack maybe tomorrow or Tuesday, if you’ve found any bugs by then please PM me with an updated file.

If you haven’t uploaded to the finished projects forum yet it might be too late… PM me if you still want to enter.
After uploading the all games pack with the fixed games I’ll wait a week or so for people to play the games and then I’ll make a community vote to find the winners.

I live in South Korea, and you may have noticed it’s been a bit stressful here this month. I didn’t expect that when I offered to host the BGMC, so I wasn’t able to devote as much time as I’d like to the event.
So thanks to Thatimster for helping me to co-host the BGMC and maintaining the facebook page (go search for it on facebook if you haven’t already).

Thanks to CGsky as well, he played all the entries and gave some good feedback.
And thanks to everyone who entered.

Here’s the original announcement for anyone who might have missed it:

Hi every one! It’s that time again!
The Blender Game making Contest starts now.

Hold the Phone! What IS the BGMC?
The Blender game making contest is a chance for people using the Blender Game Engine to come together and have fun making a short game. The Goal is to plan and execute a full game in just 7 days.

What are the Rules?
Not many rules this time around. You have 7 days (no more than 24 hours of total development time) between now and next Sunday to make a game in the BGE. You can use the vanilla Blender, UPBGE, Blend4Web or BDX. You should only work on the game during this time. Don’t use any assets you’ve made in the past, everything should be done inside the 7 days.
The whole game shouldn’t be more than 50megs when downloaded (That doesn’t include the Blender player).

What are the dates again?

From today (Saturday 15th of April) to next Sunday (23rd of April).

How will we decide a winner?

There will be a community vote for the best games.

How do we enter?
Just post a game in the finished projects forum before the 24th of April. You’re encouraged to post a WIP too so others can see how you’re doing. Remember, it’s about having fun and learning from others, not just about winning.

What’s the Prize?
No Prize this time, it’s just for the Honor.

What’s the Theme?

The Theme is “ESCAPE”. What that means is up to you. You might decide to make a traditional room escape game. Or you might try something completely different.

Good Luck! And may the best game .win!

Is planning within the 24 hours? I guess so?

Well, I have an idea already.

Well, you can plan on the bus or while laying in bed waiting for sleep. So don’t worry about counting that time. But try not to spend more than 24 hours in front of a computer during the next week. It’s just not healthy. :slight_smile:
I usually spent no more than 14 hours of dev time on a BGMC but I suppose if someone took a week off of work they could put in 60 hours of work. That wouldn’t be fair on the others though.

OK! I guess I shall enter this time too. It’s Easter holiday time, after all, so I have some spare time!:slight_smile:

Sounds fun- I need to spend some time planning, because I was away from internet when the theme came out.

Can you embed a timer and also how many points are deducted for going over the 50mb limit?

Can we use assets like 2d filters that were made in the past by someone else but are publicly available? What about python stuff from tutorialsforblender3d.com?

Yes that is allowed. Just be sure to give proper credit.

If you use CC0 assets/scripts (as I usually do for BGMC) then you don’t have to worry about credit. Of course the artist would appreciate credit regardless but it is not required.
Just make sure its “publically available” to everyone so that all contestants can use it if they choose to.

Ok guys, its my first atempt to make an real game, im in to see if i can make it

question: i`d like to make the game using the 2.25 version of blender because it has some interesting nostalgic stuff , besides i have studied only the python version 2, any problems?

Hold the Phone! What IS the BGMC?

Nice to see my “Hold the phone!” bit hasn’t been forgotten - like a tradition now, haha.

I’ll see about cobbling together something, haven’t been very active lately, my Blender skills are no doubt rusty

LOL I’m not even sure what it means but I can’t leave it out.
I think this theme gives a great opportunity to make a short and simple game. Good luck!

BTW there’s no penalty for using outside resources or going over the 50meg limit.
The first one is about fairness, it’s ok to use premade assets up to a point, but don’t make your whole game from blendswap models. The second one is just a courtesy to the organizer of the BGMC (me :slight_smile: )who has to host the game and download/ upload all the entries, sometimes multiple times as bugs are fixed etc…
It’s just easier if I don’t have to deal with 1gig files thanks! :stuck_out_tongue:

It’s up to the people taking part and those voting for the winner to consider this issue.

What if it’s a 2D filter that I have posted in Game Engine Resources forum section?

Like I said, it’s up to you what you want to use. You can use pre made assets if you want, but why not challenge yourself? Take one you already made and improve it, make it fit your game better. Or how about making a new effect?

If you do use re made assets, please make sure they are ones that were available to everyone before the contest started. Also be sure to state clearly what you have included in your game so people know to take it in to account when voting.

In my case it’s actually something that I would make more or less the same if doing again. But I am gone improve it anyways;)

Half way though now. If you haven’t started yet there’s still time…
You could cram a whole game in to the last two days if you’re not busy.

If you’ve already started you should be looking to get your gameplay perfected and start looking at content. Building levels, animating characters and so forth.

Do I have to upload it as an scene or just as a blend file?

bgmc = open source blender game making challenge.
This means that you upload the .blend with everything packed into it. or as a .exe with the textures etc in separated folders.

so that everyone who wants to take a look and pick it apart can do it.
models/assest same thing, so basically the file you upload must be open source.