RAW files from WorldMachine wont import properly

Im going to use RAW as heightmap for Cryengine, but I have to export it out as a FBX from Blender as Cryengine dont want to import my bitmap device in WorldMarchine even if I have it or not. So my workflow for WorldMachine to Cryengine would be WordlMachine RAW > Import RAW to Blender > Export as FBX and import the FBX into Cryengine.

It looks like the RAW file gets imported, I see the object in the outliner in Blender, but in the viewport its very very small.
I tried to scale it but it dosent get any better.

Hope someone have some experience with this.

RAW generally means “raw data”, not a format that you can exchange with other programs (unless they explicitly support that particular form of raw data).

The Blender “raw mesh data” is just a list of triangle coordinates. I don’t know what Worldmachine RAW is, but it’s probably a list of numbers representing the height values.

Your actual workflow (for a mesh) would rather be something like this:

1. export the heightmap from WorldMachine in a suitable format (more than 8 bits precision, look for EXR or maybe 16-BIT PNG)
  2. use the heightmap as a texture for a displacement modifier on a sufficiently subdivided plane
  3. (optional) reduce the polygon count using the simplify modifier
  4. export as FBX

Having said that, CryEngine has explicit support for heightmaps, so you should probably just use those directly instead of going through Blender. This should be more efficient to render, as well.

i use various tools ( not world machine) like gimp2.9 and gmic and wilbur along with qgis and grass and ISIS3

i export height data as a 32bit float tiff

then import it into blender as a displacement map

or

save the height data as a hirise formatted img and use that plugin to import a 32 bit geo registered image

Check out the noodle:

Exports at ~1:20, RAW16 or PGM(ASCII) files should work in CryEngine straight from WM.

Else terragen2sandbox was a another option that spat out working raw and pgm files. Failing that Paint.NET has pgm / pnm plugins. Perhaps imagemagick could convert to those too? Keep things 16 bit out of World Machine in any case.

Considered writing a Blender addon to output ascii pgm from geometry (not rendered / color managed). Think it’s 65536 height increments, columns match row count, power of two, white space or csv delimited. Have to look up the old files.