BGMC 24 | In the Dog House

My game is based around a dog and his owner, and you play as the dog. The goal is to escape the yard by: moving objects, filling pools, letting other animals out, and avoiding detection of cameras/owner.

I need to design:
The Dog
The owner
The house
The yard
“Traps” to avoid

This is basically all that will happen in the game.

Good luck everyone

Fredstash

Here are some pictures of the Dog:

I love the dog!
I think as he’s the main character though you could probably add a few more details and a slightly higher res texture. At the moment you can see the pixels at the egde of its eyes… one option is to make the face bigger on the UV sheet so more detail can be used there.

Yeah, I will look into improving the look some before the final showcase. Thanks for the thoughts.

I love your unique idea and approach to this topic. This can be a quirky, fun, little game, which I think will be a great contrast to many of the more serious games this jam will propably produce :slight_smile:

Hand painting the house took awhile (I only did the front half for now)

Thanks for the thoughts ^^^^^^

I’m working on the overall look, i’m hoping to incorporate the hose into the game, but I will see how it works out.

It’s starting to look like a yard

I got rid of the hose and added a watering can. I’m going to add a gardening shed and security cameras that you have to avoid- I’m planning on having multiple levels, and they all get harder.

It looks cute

It might be hard tl avoid the cameras in such a large open space.
How about trying out some gameplay demos before finalizing the look of the game?
This is one reason modular levels are so popular, you can easily change it to fit the gameplay as it develops.

It might be hard tl avoid the cameras in such a large open space.

what do you mean by that? Are you talking about different kinds of camera setups?

I also have some people at school who can try some demos before the end of this week, and I may put some Gif’s for everyone on here to see.

It looks cute

Thanks, that is my intention.

Here is what I have so far:

https://media.giphy.com/media/RMoQ0ncUI4tmo/giphy.gif

This looks fun and I really like the design of the house! Nice progress :slight_smile:

In the .gif, the room looks a little noisy. You can bake the ambient occlusion with more sample and it will look WAY smoother. World tab > gather > sampling. I find Constant QMC with 15 samples looks nice and doesn’t take long to bake.

Thanks everyone; I will continue to work on improving the game- I am considering adding another area for a level “The Dog Pound”, and this will be another place you have to escape.

I was feeling a Lion King moment while testing my game: :slight_smile:

“Everything the light touches is our kingdom.”

Looks very nice. I like the unique art style, feels like it’s a drawing. I suggest you to generalize texture detail, though. Having more uniform texture resolution would make things blend together better. If you cranked up texture detail of the ground, I think it would look even better than it does already. Good luck with the game! :wink:

I’ve practically ran out of time to work on this; I have some ideas I want to implement, but unfortunately time got away from me (homework, school, etc), I hope I can get something enjoyable made for the end of the competition.

Here is another picture:

I’ve made several ways to escape the yard, and you have to avoid cars and people who will stop you and get to the fire hydrant.

Here is the next level. It will probably still be WIP at the end, but I intend on it being beatable.