Post-BGMC 24 Development | Evacuate

"How long have I been unconscious?.. What happened to this place?.. And where has everyone gone?

Gah!

It has become clear to me this place is no longer safe- if it ever really was. There is a danger lurking within these walls now. A danger far worse than when I was a test subject. Whatever has happened here has… changed people. I might be able to get weapons or supply from the fallen guards to defend myself, but will it be enough? I can’t waste time trying to figure this out. I need to escape!"

I’m taking a slightly different development approach than my last BGMC entry. I’ve started my first few hours of development creating a miniature modular kit. This includes things like straight walls, corners, floors, ceilings, some simple furniture, and stairs. I’m hoping this will help me build the levels much quicker than creating everything as I go.

I’ll try to get some WIP screenshots probably Monday since tomorrow is Easter.

This will be your best friend :wink:

Thanks for that! I had some pieces that were somehow off by .00001cm and the edge snap helped me clean those up. :smiley:

Here are a few screenshots of my progress. Most of it was from Saturday and about 1 hour so far today. No AI yet and I haven’t decide how I’m going to break up the levels. Those will be my biggest challenges. I’m at about 7 hours of dev time so far and I’m hoping to get another 4 hours in right now!

Looks interesting. I hope it turns out fun to play :slight_smile:

Thank you. Me too! :slight_smile:

The process of creating characters is one of my weak points, so I came up with a little plan. On my next dev day I’m going to make one rig w/ animations that can be used on several meshes of similar shape. Then I’m going to go through and give them different textures. I’m hoping this will keep the game from getting repetitive and allow me to make a few more unique animations than just the basics.

Knocked out all of the enemy types I needed. They all use the same mesh and rig, then I tweaked them to make each one unique and gave them their own animation variations. Then I sculpted some quick high poly models (nothing fancy, just random bumps and contours), baked them, and made emission and diffuse maps in paint.net.

The vertices are around 800 each and the textures were baked at 2048, then shrunk to 512.

Dreadnought* :smiley:

My advice would be to try to introduce more varied lighting. Use light to highlight key plot points and the paths around the levels, so that player has an idea of where to go. Use darkness to contrast these areas, some shadow around the unimportant areas, in dead ends and corners. Right now it looks a little flat.

Loks really good, thats my opinion!

It reminds me of doom. :slight_smile:

I’ve never actually played Doom, but it was my inspiration for the project :smiley: I’ve seen gameplay throughout my life and it looks really fun, so I figured I would try something like that as fps and ai practice. I hope the BGMC judges and the community are okay with comical violence.

Thanks! I’ve address the lighting issue Smoking Mirror was talking about. It did look very drab. I found some material settings that really show off the PBR texture I made. I should be able to get some new screen shots up tonight.

Currently at 17 hours of development time and I have all of the HUD, settings, menus, and some play testing left to do. If I don’t run into any issues I think seven hours will be just enough time.

For fake pbr, you could try this blend examples: https://github.com/mikepan/BlenderGEResourceKit/tree/master/addons/easyGame/asset

I’m not sure what I want to do with this game yet. I have been working on optimized kits that can be used to put together levels later on.
So far I have started work on an underground metro, streets, and some building pieces. They are all still works in progress at this point.

I apologize for the very poor video quality. I still need to figure out which video capture settings will work best with my computer. I just set them to one of the lowest settings for now because the highest didn’t work at all.

And some screenshots, since video capture went poorly…

WIP 2 of the road kit. Started some highway elements.

Looking real nice, I love those busted up streets and signs. Congrats on 3rd place by the way.:smiley:

Thanks :slight_smile: I want to incorporate some lava and rifted earth soon too. I think those will help create some really interesting levels. Modular skyscrapers are also soon on my to-do list.

Games within a game! A new in feature I’ve been toying with that will have practical purposes in game too :slight_smile: First test to make sure everything is in order so far. I see I have a few things to fix.

Any opinions or ideas on how this could be improved? All input is much appreciated :smiley:

I modeled this satellite today. Quick test to see how it looks in game. Who know what kind of neat secrets could be hiding in them… :eyebrowlift2:

Good stuff! Will you also do some gameplay fixes and changes? I remember bringing upa few possible changes :slight_smile: