Material colours not showing in solid shading

I have followed along on a few tutorials on Youtube where a temporary material is created and a basic diffuse colour chosen just to separate the piece from the rest to make modelling easier. In the Materials data section under settings tab the colour is also changed so you can see it in the 3D viewport as you model using solid shading.

When I do this the different colours do not show up in solid shading, only in material shading mode. Everything renders OK, it`s just this setting in solid mode. I checked on the video to make sure Blender was not in material shading mode and it was just me but it is in solid.

Is there a particular setting that might need adjusting to make Blender display the colours properly? I am using Blender version 2.78c and the Cycles Render.

For solid view mode set the object viewport colour in the material / setting panel

Supply a demo blend file for review if still not working. We’re not in a position to guess what you have done or not done

Solved the problem myself. I had MatCap shading activated.I unchecked that and all the colours showed up. Never knew this setting had that effect. This was the particular setting that needed adjusting that I was asking about.

For others who might not have this solved yet.
Check that the mesh under the object tab, then under “display” u have maximum draw type" set to “textured” in the drop down menu.
This had me scraching my head for a while.