Blender and the IFC importer, help, can't make it work.

Hello, im fairly new using blender although i know it for years.

I need to import BIM cad projects to blender.

There is a format and even an importer for blender for doing this file exchange.

This is the site for the IFC importer for blender:

http://ifcopenshell.org/ifcblender.html

There are instructions on how to install this script for version .4 and .5 preview.

Ive followed this instructions, for blender 2.73 and script .4, and for blender 2.78c for version .5 of the preview.
ive done this for 32 and 64 bit versions.
But i cant get it to work.

I do install the script from file, as instructed, but then i cant see it in the import-export dialog, it does not incorporate the script.

I don’t know how to make this script work, has someone used it successfully?

any help is appreciated

im using windows 7 ult, in Spanish.

thanks.

after you install the script/addon, you need to activate it (User Preferences > Addons) ! Only then you’ll be able to import the file…

Hello extranger, thanks for replying so soon.

ive done all the steps described in the ifc blender site, but it blender does not install the complement.

i do install the plugin, but i never get to that part you show in your screenshot.

ive installed from file all the py scripts that show in the downloaded v.5 archive, but the importer never shows in the addons import export dialog. (even hitting refresh).

im wondering this has something to do with the localization of my windows.

btw, do i need python installed for this to work? i dont think so.

i wonder why it does not work.

now im at the institute and ive downloaded blender 2.78c and the .5v2 ifc importer , tested and no luck, same results the importer wont show after installing the file.

Lol, can you do that to a zip installation, repack, and upload the file back here? :stuck_out_tongue:

>_>

maybe you can send me the config files for blender 2.78c default plus ifc importer…?..

Anyone with a better solution?

:slight_smile: i never use install from File… i prefer manual manipulation

1. - Download ifcblender-python35-master-9ad68db-win64.zip

2. - Open & move the insides of zip: ‘io_import_scene_ifc’ into one of your addon directories:

a) c:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons
or
b) X:\Instalation-Directory\Blender\2.78\scripts\

to get: c:\Users\Username\AppData\Roaming\Blender Foundation\Blender\2.78\scripts\addons\io_import_scene_ifc</b>

3. - Run Blender & open (go to) User Preferences Editor > Add-ons

• type ifc into the search window (next to magnifying glass icon)
  • Tick the checkbox! Import-Export: IfcBlender
  • Click Save User Settings button!

PLAY!

OK?

Ok, that worked! now i see the correct import format at user preferences.

thank you very much.

solved!

Anyone know if there is a 2.80 update for this somewhere?

1 Like

How import IFC into Blender without add-on

There is an update for 2.8 with a huge amount of new features and improvements including export support.

https://blenderbim.org

1 Like